Dr. Victoria Gascón was born in Toledo (Spain) and she received her Ph.D. in Chemistry as Interdisciplinary Science in Autonomous University of Madrid (Spain) in 2014. Her main research interest relies on porous materials field, particularly focused on different topics like water decontamination by means of adsorption, biocatalysis, green chemistry and materials for energy storage. She has two University degrees in Industrial Chemical Engineering and Environmental Sciences, as well as, a Master degree in Applied Chemistry. All her degrees were highly recognised with different awards. Additionally, after finishing her PhD (2014, ICP-CSIC), again with Excellent achievements in the area of design of new biocatalysts, she started her first post-doc developing new sustainable MOF materials as enzyme supports collaborating with Dr. M. Sánchez-Sánchez (2014-2015, ICP-CSIC). Her second post-doc, awarded with the prestigious Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellowship (IRC), was hosted inside the Bernal Institute (University of Limerick, Ireland) in the Bioelectrochemistry & Biocatalysis group with Prof. E. Magner (2015-2017). In 2017 she joined the Crystal Engineering group led by the worldwide recognised Prof. M. Zaworotko. Dr. Gascon is focused on the design, properties, and applications of Metal-Organic Materials (MOMs) applying Crystal Engineering principles for mainly water vapor sorption. Among many other advanced techniques, she is an expert in using Dynamic Vapour Sorption equipment (DVS) and Intelligent Gravimetric Analysers (IGA).
Selected peer-reviewed publications: (C = Communication, R = Review, F = Full paper, B = Book Chapter, P = Patent of invention, * = Corresponding author).
1. (F) N. D. Thorat, J. Bauer, S.A.M. Tofail, V. Gascón, R. A. Bohara, H. M. Yadav, “Silica nano supra-assembly for the targeted delivery of therapeutic cargo to overcome chemoresistance in cancer”, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, Available online 12 October 2019, DOI: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2019.110571.
2. (F) V. Gascon, A. Arencibia, J. M. Arsuaga, "Efficient amine-SBA-15-type adsorbents for treatment of water trace-containing Pb(II) and Cd(II)", Desalination & Water Treatment, 146, 210-226, 2019, DOI: 10.5004/dwt.2019.23601.
3. (F) V. Gascón*, C. Márquez-Álvarez, R. M. Blanco, “Successful encapsulation of β-glucosidase during the synthesis of siliceous mesostructured materials”, Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology, 93, 2625-2634, 2018, DOI: 10.1002/jctb.5616. (*Corresponding author)
4. (F) C. Carucci, L. Bruen, V. Gascón, F. Paradisi, E. Magner, “Significant enhancement of structural stability of the hyperhalophilic ADH from Haloferax volcanii via entrapment on metal organic framework support”, Langmuir, 34, 8274-8280, 2018, DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.8b01037.
5. (F) V. Gascón*, M. B. Jiménez, R. M. Blanco, M. Sánchez-Sánchez*, “Semi-crystalline Fe-BTC MOF material as an efficient support for enzyme immobilization”, Catalysis Today, 304, 119-126, 2018, DOI: 10.1016/j.cattod.2017.10.022. (*Corresponding author)
6. (F) J. M. Bolivar, V. Gascón, C. Marquez-Alvarez, R. M. Blanco, and B. Nidetzky, “Oriented co-immobilization of oxidase and catalase on tailor-made ordered mesoporous silica”, Langmuir, 33, 5065–5076, 2017, DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.7b00441
7. (F) V. Gascón, E. Castro, R. M. Blanco, M. Sánchez-Sánchez, “In situ and post-synthesis immobilization of enzymes on nanocrystalline MOF platforms to yield active biocatalysts”, Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology, 92, 2583–2593, 2017, DOI: 10.1002/jctb.5274
8. (C) V. Gascón, C. Carucci, M. B. Jiménez, R. M. Blanco, M. Sánchez-Sánchez, E. Magner, “Rapid in-situ immobilization of enzymes in metal organic framework supports under mild conditions”, ChemCatChem, 9, 1182-1186, 2017, DOI: 10.1002/cctc.201601342
9. (F) M. J. Valero-Pedraza, V. Gascón, M. A. Carreón, F. Leardini, J. R. Ares, A. Martín, M. Sánchez-Sánchez, M. A. Bañares, “Operando Raman-mass spectrometry investigation of hydrogen release by thermolysis of ammonia borane confined in mesoporous materials”, Microporous Mesoporous Materials, 226, 454–465, 2016, DOI: 10.1016/j.micromeso.2016.02.013
10. (B) V. Gascón, C. Márquez-Álvarez, I. Díaz, R. M. Blanco, Book chapter: “Hybrid ordered mesoporous materials as supports for permanent enzyme immobilization through non-covalent interactions”, Book title: Non-covalent Interactions in the Synthesis and Design of New Compounds. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 19, 345-360. 2016, Print ISBN: 9781119109891, Online ISBN: 9781119113874, DOI: 10.1002/9781119113874
11. (P) V. Gascón, E. Castro, M. Díaz, R. M. Blanco, M. Sánchez- Sánchez, “Immobilization of enzymes in metal-organic frameworks (MOFs)”, 2015, International Patent of invention, Spanish National Research Council (CSIC), P201530756, PCT/ES2016/070397, WO Patent 2016193516
12. (F) Mayoral, V. Gascón, R. M. Blanco, C. Márquez-Álvarez, I. Díaz, “Location of laccase in ordered mesoporous materials”, APL Materials, 2, 113304-113311, 2014, DOI: 10.1063/1.4897281
13. (F) V. Gascón, I. Díaz, C. Márquez-Álvarez, R. M. Blanco, “Hybrid periodic mesoporous organosilica designed to improve the properties of immobilized enzymes”, RSC Advances, 4, 34356-34368, 2014, DOI: 10.1039/c4ra05362a
14. (F) V. Gascón, I. Díaz, C. Márquez-Álvarez, R. M. Blanco, “Mesoporous silicas with tunable morphology for the immobilization of laccase”, Molecules, 19, 7057-7071, 2014, DOI: 10.3390/molecules19067057
15. (F) V. Gascón, C. Márquez-Álvarez, R. M. Blanco, “Efficient retention of laccase by non-covalent immobilization on amino-functionalized ordered mesoporous silica”, Applied Catalysis A: General, 482, 116-126, 2014, DOI: 10.1016/j.apcata.2014.05.035
16. (F) Mayoral, R. Arenal, V. Gascón, C. Márquez-Álvarez, R.M. Blanco, I. Díaz, “Designing Functionalized Mesoporous Materials for Enzyme Immobilization: Locating Enzymes by Using Advanced TEM Techniques”,ChemCatChem, 5, 903-909. 2013, DOI: 10.1002/cctc.201200737
17. (F) J. Aguado, J. M. Arsuaga, A. Arencibia, M. Lindo, V. Gascón, “Aqueous heavy metals removal by adsorption on amine-functionalized mesoporous silica”, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 163, 213-221. 2009, DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.06.080