Dr. Victoria Gascón was born in Toledo (Spain) and she received her Ph.D. in Chemistry as Interdisciplinary Science in Autonomous University of Madrid (Spain) in 2014. Her main research interest relies on porous materials field, particularly focused on different topics like water decontamination by means of adsorption, biocatalysis, green chemistry and materials for energy storage. She has two University degrees in Industrial Chemical Engineering and Environmental Sciences, as well as, a Master degree in Applied Chemistry. All her degrees were highly recognised with different awards. Additionally, after finishing her PhD (2014, ICP-CSIC), again with Excellent achievements in the area of design of new biocatalysts, she started her first post-doc developing new sustainable MOF materials as enzyme supports collaborating with Dr. M. Sánchez-Sánchez (2014-2015, ICP-CSIC). Her second post-doc, awarded with the prestigious Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellowship (IRC), was hosted inside the Bernal Institute (University of Limerick, Ireland) in the Bioelectrochemistry & Biocatalysis group with Prof. E. Magner (2015-2017). In 2017 she joined the Crystal Engineering group led by the worldwide recognised Prof. M. Zaworotko. Dr. Gascon is focused on the design, properties, and applications of Metal-Organic Materials (MOMs) applying Crystal Engineering principles for mainly water vapor sorption. Among many other advanced techniques, she is an expert in using Dynamic Vapour Sorption equipment (DVS) and Intelligent Gravimetric Analysers (IGA).
Selected peer-reviewed publications: (C = Communication, R = Review, F = Full paper, B = Book Chapter, P = Patent of invention, * = Corresponding author).
(C = Communication, R = Review, F = Full paper, B = Book Chapter, P = Patent of invention, * = Corresponding author).
1. (B) V. Gascon*, M. Sánchez, Book chapter: Environmentally Friendly Enzyme Immobilization on MOF Materials, In: Guisan J., Bolivar J., López-Gallego F., Rocha-Martín J. (eds) Immobilization of Enzymes and Cells. Methods in Molecular Biology, vol 2100, 271-296, 2020. Humana, New York, NY, Print ISBN: 978-1-0716-0214-0, Online ISBN: 978-1-0716-0215-7, DOI: 10.1007/978-1-0716-0215-7_18
2. (F) N. D. Thorat, J. Bauer, S.A.M. Tofail, V. Gascón, R. A. Bohara, H. M. Yadav, Silica nano supra-assembly for the targeted delivery of therapeutic cargo to overcome chemoresistance in cancer, Colloids Surf. B: Biointerfaces, 185, 110571, 2020, 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2019.110571
3. S. Mukherjee, N. Sikdar, D. O’Nolan, D. M. Franz, V. Gascón, A. Kumar, N. Kumar, H. S. Scott, D. G. Madden, P. E. Kruger, B. Space, M. J. Zaworotko, Trace CO2 capture by an ultramicroporous physisorbent with low water affinity, Science Advances, 5, eaax9171, 2019, 10.1126/sciadv.aax9171
4. (F) V. Gascon, A. Arencibia, J.M. Arsuaga, Efficient amine-SBA-15-type adsorbents for treatment of water trace-containing Pb(II) and Cd(II), Desalin. Water Treat., 146, 210-226, 2019, 10.5004/dwt.2019.23601
5. (F) V. Gascón*, C. Márquez, R.M. Blanco, Successful encapsulation of β-glucosidase during the synthesis of siliceous mesostructured materials, J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol., 93, 2625-2634, 2018, 10.1002/jctb.5616
6. (F) C. Carucci, L. Bruen, V. Gascón, F. Paradisi, E. Magner, Significant enhancement of structural stability of the hyperhalophilic ADH from Haloferax volcanii via entrapment on metal organic framework support, Langmuir, 34, 8274-8280, 2018, 10.1021/acs.langmuir.8b01037
7. (F) V. Gascón*, M. Jiménez, R.M. Blanco, M. Sánchez*, Semi-crystalline Fe-BTC MOF material as an efficient support for enzyme immobilization, Catal. Today, 304, 119-126, 2018, 10.1016/j.cattod.2017.10.022
8. (F) J.M.Bolivar, V. Gascón, C. Márquez, R.M. Blanco, and B. Nidetzky, Oriented co-immobilization of oxidase and catalase on tailor-made ordered mesoporous silica, Langmuir, 33, 5065–5076, 2017, 10.1021/acs.langmuir.7b00441
9. (F) V. Gascón, E. Castro, R.M. Blanco, M. Sánchez, In situ and post-synthesis immobilization of enzymes on nanocrystalline MOF platforms to yield active biocatalysts, J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol., 92, 2583–2593, 2017, 10.1002/jctb.5274
10. (C) V. Gascón, C. Carucci, M. B. Jiménez, R.M. Blanco, M. Sánchez, E. Magner, Rapid in-situ immobilization of enzymes in metal organic framework supports under mild conditions, ChemCatChem, 9, 1182-1186, 2017, 10.1002/cctc.201601342
11. (F) M.J. Valero, V. Gascón, M.A. Carreón, F. Leardini, J.R. Ares, A. Martín, M. Sánchez, M.A. Bañares, Operando Raman-mass spectrometry investigation of hydrogen release by thermolysis of ammonia borane confined in mesoporous materials, Microporous Mesoporous Mater., 226, 454–465, 2016, 10.1016/j.micromeso.2016.02.013
12. (B) V. Gascón, C. Márquez, I. Díaz, R.M. Blanco, Book chapter: Hybrid ordered mesoporous materials as supports for permanent enzyme immobilization through non-covalent interactions, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 19, 345-360. 2016, Print ISBN: 9781119109891, Online ISBN: 9781119113874, 10.1002/9781119113874
13. (P) V. Gascón, E. Castro, M. Díaz, R.M. Blanco, M. Sánchez- Sánchez, Immobilization of enzymes in metal-organic frameworks (MOFs), 2015, P201530756, PCT/ES2016/070397, WO Patent 2016193516
14. (F) Mayoral, V. Gascón, R.M. Blanco, C. Márquez, I. Díaz, Location of laccase in ordered mesoporous materials, APL Mater., 2, 113304-113311, 2014, 10.1063/1.4897281
15. (F) V. Gascón, I. Díaz, C. Márquez, R.M. Blanco, Hybrid periodic mesoporous organosilica designed to improve the properties of immobilized enzymes, RSC Adv., 4, 34356-34368, 2014, 10.1039/c4ra05362a
16. (F) V. Gascón, I. Díaz, C. Márquez, R.M. Blanco, Mesoporous silicas with tunable morphology for the immobilization of laccase, Molecules, 19, 7057-7071, 2014, 10.3390/molecules19067057
17. (F) V. Gascón, C. Márquez, R.M. Blanco, Efficient retention of laccase by non-covalent immobilization on amino-functionalized ordered mesoporous silica, Appl. Catal. A, 482, 116-126, 2014, 10.1016/j.apcata.2014.05.035
18. (F) Mayoral, R. Arenal, V. Gascón, C. Márquez, R.M. Blanco, I. Díaz, Designing Functionalized Mesoporous Materials for Enzyme Immobilization: Locating Enzymes by Using Advanced TEM Techniques, ChemCatChem, 5, 903-909. 2013, 10.1002/cctc.201200737
19. (F) J. Aguado, J.M.Arsuaga, A. Arencibia, M. Lindo, V. Gascón, Aqueous heavy metals removal by adsorption on amine-functionalized mesoporous silica, J. Hazard. Mater., 163, 213-221. 2009, 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.06.080