Dr. John J. Perry is a former senior postdoctoral fellow in the Crystal Engineering Research Group at the University of Limerick, Ireland. He was born in Tampa, Florida in 1980 and received his B.A. (2003) and Ph.D. (2009) degrees from the University of South Florida. His doctoral work, supervised by Prof. Mike Zaworotko, concerned the design, synthesis, and characterization of novel coordination polymers and metal-organic frameworks, resulting in his dissertation “Hierarchical Complexity in Metal-Organic Materials: From Layers to Polyhedra to Supermolecular Building Blocks”. From 2010 – 2013 he was a postdoctoral fellow at Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, California working with Dr. Mark Allendorf.
Research activities have focused upon fundamental and applied aspects of crystal engineering since 2002. Currently,metal-organic materials (MOMs), especially microporous and nanoporous sorbents are of particular interest. Additional research interests include MOF-based luminescence (photoluminescence and radioluminescence) as well as the fabrication of MOF materials into practical, commercially viable products.
Bibliometrics: H-index of 12; 27 publications; >1700 citations.
Selected peer-reviewed publications: presented in chronological order (C = Communication, R= Review, F = Full paper, B = Book Chapter).
- (C) Kumar, A., Madden, D.G., Lusi, M., Chen, K-J., Daniels, E.A., Curtin, T., Perry IV, J.J., Zaworotko, M.J., “Direct Air Capture of CO2 by Physisorbent Materials”, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2015.
- (C) H. S. Scott, A. Bajpai, K.-J. Chen, T. Pham, B. Space, J. J. Perry IV, M. J. Zaworotko, "Novel mode of 2-fold interpenetration observed in a primitive cubic network of formula [Ni(1,2-bis(4-pyridyl)acetylene)2(Cr2O7)]n" Chem. Commun., 2015
- (C). K. J. Chen, J. J. Perry IV, H. S. Scott, Q. Y. Yang, M. J. Zaworotko, "Double walled pyr topology networks from a novel fluoride-bridged heptanuclear metal cluster", Chem. Sci., 2015, 6, 4784-4789
- (F) Parkes, M.V.; Staiger, C.L.; Perry IV, J.J.; Allendorf, M.D.; Greathouse, J.A. “Screening metal-organic frameworks for selective noble gas adsorption in air: effect of pore size and framework topology” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 15, 9093-9106, 2013.
- (F) Perry IV, J.J.; Feng, P.L.; Meek. S.T.; Leong, K.; Doty, F.P.; Allendorf, M.D. “Connecting structure with function in metal-organic frameworks to design novel photo- and radioluminescent materials” J. Mater. Chem., 22(20), 10235-10248, 2012.
- (F) Meek, S.T.; Teich-McGoldrick, S.L.; Perry IV, J.J.; Greathouse, J.A.; Allendorf, M.D. “Effects of Polarizability on the Adsorption of Noble Gases at Low Pressures in Monohalogenated Isoreticular Metal-Organic Frameworks” J. Phys. Chem. C, 116, 19765-19772, 2012.
- (B) Perry IV, J.J.; Bauer, C.A.; Allendorf, M.D. “Luminescent Metal-Organic Frameworks”, in Metal-Organic Frameworks: Applications from Catalysis to Gas Storage, Wiley‐VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA., Ch. 12, 267-308, 2011.
- (F) Meek, S.T.; Teich-McGoldrick, S.L.; Perry IV, J.J.; Greathouse, J.A.; Allendorf, M.D. “Complete Series of Mono-halogenated Isoreticular Metal-Organic Frameworks: Synthesis and the Importance of Activation Method” Cryst. Growth & Des., 11, 4309-4312, 2011.
- (C) Feng, P.L.; Perry IV, J.J.; Nikodemski, S.; Jacobs, B.W.; Meek, S.T.; Allendorf, M.D. “Assessing the Purity of Metal-Organic Frameworks Using Photoluminescence: MOF-5, ZnO Quantum Dots, and Framework Decomposition” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 132, 15487-15489, 2010.
- (R) Perry IV, J.J.; Perman, J.A.; Zaworotko, M.J. “Design and synthesis of metal-organic frameworks using metal-organic polyhedra as supermolecular building blocks”, Chem. Soc. Rev., 38, 1400-1417, 2009.
- (C) Perry IV, J.J.; Kravtsov, V. Ch.; McManus, G.J.; Zaworotko, M.J. “Bottom-up synthesis that does not start at the bottom: Quadruple covalent cross-linking of nanoscale faceted polyhedral” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 129, 10076-10077, 2007.