Technical Communication and Instructional Design (TCID) is housed within the School of English, Irish, and Communication.
Technical communication is a broad field and includes any form of communication that exhibits one or more of the following characteristics (STC, 2018):
- Communicating about technical or specialised topics (e.g. communicating how to use or follow software applications, medical procedures, or environmental regulations)
- Communicating using technology (e.g. communication in websites, help files, and social media)
- Communicating how to do something (e.g. communication in instruction manuals, online help documentation, and online/e-learning courses).
Our faculty are experts in technical communication, instructional design, and e-learning. We are involved in collaborative and individual teaching and research projects, and we supervise students to PhD level.
TCID modules are offered on several undergraduate programmes, including the BA Arts and the BA in Journalism and Digital Communication.
TCID offers three postgraduate programmes:
- Graduate Certificate in Technical Writing (online).
- Professional Diploma in Digital Content Development (NEW!)
- MA in Technical Communication and E-Learning (full-time and part-time, on-campus or online).
This programme won Postgraduate Course of the Year in Arts & Humanities in 2018 and 2019. This video provides an overview of the programme and includes a graduate testimonial.