Dr Soumya Mukherjee read the Chemistry (Honours) Bachelor's degree at the University of Calcutta. A Master's degree with specialisation in organic chemistry followed at the same university. He then relocated to the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) Pune, India in 2011, to study the chemistry of porous solids. Under the tutelage of Prof Sujit K. Ghosh, this five and half years' doctoral dissertation completed in November 2016, earning him a PhD degree in mid-2017. A 3-year postdoctoral research (2017 Jan – 2019 Dec) at the Bernal Institute, University of Limerick (UL) followed with Prof Mike Zaworotko’s group. As an Alexander von Humboldt research fellow, Dr Mukherjee next moved to Prof Roland A. Fischer's AMC chair at the Technical University of Munich. During 2019-2021, The Royal Society of Chemistry and the IUPAC admitted Dr Mukherjee as an MRSC (August 2019) and an affiliate member (May 2021), respectively. In 2021, he was awarded: A) the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Individual Fellowship (MSCA-IF) from the European Commission, under the EU Framework Programme Horizon 2020; B) Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellowship from the Irish Research Council. Regardless, thanks to an SFI-IRC Pathways Award from the Science Foundation Ireland, Dr Mukherjee began his independent research career and established his own research group at the Department of Chemical Sciences, UL. The group NanoSorbLab is making headways into the development of energy-efficient nanoporous adsorbents (particularly those fostering environmental sustainability). Dr Mukherjee’s publication history can be found at Google Scholar and ORCiD. NanoSorbLab (Research Group) Webpage: https://sites.google.com/view/nanosorblabul.
Work experience: 1) June 2022 – present: SFI-IRC Pathways PI at the Department of Chem. Sci., University of Limerick, Ireland.
2) January 2019 – May 2022: Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow at Technical University of Munich, Germany.
3) January 2017 – December 2019: Postdoctoral Researcher at the Department of Chem. Sci., University of Limerick, Ireland.
1) SFI-IRC Pathways Research Award from the Science Foundation Ireland.
2) Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) Individual Fellowship from the European Commission.
3) Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellowship from the Irish Research Council, Ireland.
4) Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship from the Humboldt Foundation, Germany.
5) Carl Friedrich von Siemens Research Award of the Humboldt foundation, Germany.
6) SERB-ITS Travel Grant from Science and Engineering Research Board, India
7) Summer Research Fellowship from JNCASR, India.