Paddy is University of Limerick Emeritus Professor of Business Studies. A graduate of University College Dublin (B.Comm, 1977; MBS, 1978) and Cranfield School of Management (PhD, 1995), he has authored, co-authored or edited 18 books and over 100 refereed journal papers and book chapters. His research has been published in leading international journals such as the Journal of International Business Studies, the British Journal of Industrial Relations, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society and the Journal of World Business.
A former Fulbright Scholar and Marie Curie Exchange Scholar, Paddy is member of the editorial boards of the Human Resource Management Journal, Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, South African Journal of Human Resource Management, Industrial Relations Journal and Employee Relations: The International Journal. He is also former co-editor of the Irish Journal of Management.
Paddy was previously Head of both the Department of Personnel and Employment Relations and the Department of Management at the University of Limerick.
He holds Visiting Professor Appointments at Sorbonne Université Paris II (Pantheon-Assas). Rhodes University and Nelson Mandela University and has delivered distinguished lectures and invited presentations at several leading universities and business schools in Australia, Canada, China, South Africa and the US. He is currently external examiner at Dublin City University and University College Cork and has examined doctoral theses at several Irish and international universities, most recently at Macquarie University (Australia), Trinity College (Dublin), Queens University (Belfast) and the University of Warwick (UK).
He was the 2013 recipient of the University of Limerick Excellence in Research Award and was thereby bestowed with the title University Research Fellow 2013-16. In 2009 he received the award of inaugural Fellow of the Irish Academy of Management in acknowledgement of his distinguished contribution to academia and the study of business and management in Ireland. He is a previous recipient of the University of Limerick's Special Achievement in Research Award (2000). Paddy is also a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (FCIPD).
His research interests include international business/multinational companies, human resource management (HRM), trade union membership and recognition, management strategies in industrial relations, and the role of HRM specialists. His research has attracted financial support from the European Union's Framework 7 programme, the Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences, the Irish Research Council and the Economic and Social Research Council (UK).
He previously worked as a senior executive in the Semi-State sector in Ireland and lectured for some years in Zambia.
Paddy's main research interests lie in the domain of industrial relations, international human resource management and international business. His empirical work in recent years has largely focused on employment practice and location strategies of multinational enterprises (MNEs), while his interests also include trade union membership and recognition, management strategies in industrial relations, and the role of HRM specialists. His research has attracted financial support from the European Union's Framework 7 programme, the Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences, the Irish Research Council and the Economic and Social Research Council (UK) and he has collaborated in competitively funded research programmes involving international scholars in Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Mexico, Norway, Spain, the UK and the US.
- 2016 - University Research Fellow 2013-2016
- 2013 - Marie Curie International Research Exchange Scholar
- 2013 - University of Limerick Excellence in Research Award 2013
- 2012 - Visiting Professor of International Management
- 2012 - Research Champion 2012 (Enterprise Ireland)
- 2005 - Most downloaded articles? Award (2005), Emerald Publishing
- 2002 - Selected best paper
- 2001 - Selected best paper
- 2001 - University of Limerick Research Fellow
- 2000 - Special Achievement in Research Award.
- 1999 - Selected best paper
- 1997 - Anbar Citation for Excellence
- 1995 - Selected best paper
- 1995 - Junior Chamber of Commerce of Ireland, National Award Winner
- 2007 Public Appointments Service -
- 2006 First Active PLC -
First Active PLC Project on 'Employee attitudes' project
- 2003 Roche Ireland - Opinion Survey Project
- 1997 Motorola Corporation -
· Motorola Project on 'Structure of Intellect Programme'
- 1995 International Labour Office (ILO) - Comparative Study of Employment Pacts including Case Analysis
- 1996 College of Business Administration, San Diego Stat - Fulbright Scholar & Visiting Professor of Management
- 1996 College of Business, University of Limerick, Irela - Professor of Business Studies and Director, Employment Relat
- 1994 College of Business, University of Limerick, Irela - Senior Lecturer in Personnel Management and Industrial Rela
- 1992 College of Business, University of Limerick, Irela - Senior Lecturer
- 1988 College of Business, University of Limerick, Irela - Lecturer in Personnel Management and Industrial Relations
- 1986 Evelyn Hone College of Arts, Business and Technolo - Programme Director - Management Studies; Senior Lecturer in
- 1983 National Institute for Higher Education, Limerick, - Lecturer in Personnel Management & Industrial Relations
- 1980 Shannon Development Company, Shannon - Manager, Personnel/Industrial Relations Services.
- 1978 National Institute for Higher Education, Limerick, - Teaching Assistant & Assistant Lecturer, Personnel Managemen
- 1977 University College Dublin - part time tutor in industrial relations
- 1995 Cranfield School of Management: - Ph.D.
- 1978 University College Dublin: - M.B.S.
- 1977 University College Dublin: - B.Com.
- 1981 Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD),,
- 1899 Irish Association for Industrial Relations,
- 1899 International Industrial Relations Association,
- 1899 British Universities Industrial Relations Association,
- 1899 Industrial Relations Research Association,
- 1899 Irish Academy of Management.,
- Member, International Industrial Relations Association
- Member, Labor and Employment Relations Assocation (USA)
- Member, British Universities Industrial Relations Association
- Member, Irish Association for Industrial Relations
- Chartered Fellow (FCIPD), Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (FCIPD)
- Governing Council Member, Irish Academy of Management
- Anthony Ferner - Funding Award - De Montfort University -England
- Anthony Mc Donnell - Joint Publication - Queen's University Belfast -Northern Ireland
- Anthony Mc Donnell - Joint Publication - Queen's University Belfast -Northern Ireland
- Brendan Boyle - Funding Award - University of Newcastle -Australia
- Bélanger Jacques - Funding Award - Laval University -Canada
- Carrillo Jorge - Funding Award - Colegio Frontera Norte -Mexico
- Dana Minabaeva - Funding Award - Copenhagen Business School -Denmark
- David Luque Balbona - Funding Award - University of Oviedo -Spain
- Debora Gottardello - Host Incoming Visitor - Universitat Rovira i Virgili -Spain
- Elaine Farndale - Joint Publication - University of Pennsylvania -USA
- Frank Bournois - Adjunct - Université Panthéon-Assas (Paris 2) -France
- Gilton Klerk - Adjunct - Rhodes University -South Africa
- Gooderham Paul - Funding Award - Norwegian School of Economics (NHH) -Norway
- Gregor Murray - Joint Publication - University of Montreal -Canada
- John Burgess - Funding Award - Curtin University -Australia
- Jose Luiz Gasco - Outgoing Visitor - Universitat d'Alacant -Spain
- Kantha Dayaram Dayaram - Host Incoming Visitor - Curtin University -Australia
- Karen M. Olsen - Joint Publication - Norwegian School of Economics (NHH) -Norway
- Keith Townsend - External Examiner - Griffith University -Australia
- Lourdes Susaeta - Joint Publication - University of Navarra -Spain
- Lévesque Christian - Funding Award - HEC Montreal -Canada
- Macarena Lopez Fernández - Outgoing Visitor - University of Cádiz -Spain
- Maria Gonzalez Menendez - Joint Publication - University of Oviedo -Spain
- Mike Willis - External Examiner - University of Bath -England
- Neil Rupidara - Outgoing Visitor - Satya Wacana Christian University -Indonesia
- Olga Tregaskis - Joint Publication - University of East Anglia -England
- Paul Marginson - Joint Publication - University of Warwick -England
- Paul Poisat - Adjunct - Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University -South Africa
- Pauline Stanton - Funding Award - Victoria University -Australia
- Pedro Miguel Romero Fernández - Other - University of Cádiz -Spain
- Peter Butler - Joint Publication - De Montfort University -England
- Phil Almond - Joint Publication - De Montfort University -England
- Plascencia López Ismael - Funding Award - Universidad Autonoma de Baja California -Mexico
- Quintanilla Javier - Funding Award - University of Navarra -Spain
- Ryan Lamare - Joint Publication - University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign -USA
- Ryan Lamare - Joint Publication - University of Pennsylvania -USA
- Sinead Monaghan - Joint Publication - Rutgers State University -USA
- Steen Navrbjerg - Joint Publication - University of Copenhagen -Denmark
- Sánchez Mangas Rocío - Funding Award - Autonomous University of Madrid -Spain
- Tony Edwards - Joint Publication - King's College London -England
- Tregaskis Olga - Funding Award - University of East Anglia -England
- Valeria Pulignano - Joint Publication - KU Leuven -Belgium