Learn how to write and publish a great paper
The University of Limerick has recently purchased an institutional subscription to the Nature Masterclasses online course in ‘Scientific Writing and Publishing’. The course is taught by Editors from the Nature Research journals and covers the entire scientific publishing process – from writing a paper to publication. Note that the course focuses on publishing within the natural sciences, but is useful for researchers in all disciplines. Access is available to all UL students (undergraduate and postgraduate), postdocs, research staff, faculty, staff and administrators free of charge.
To start using the course, simply register on the Nature Masterclasses website: https://masterclasses.nature.com/register/16034046
Note, when you register for the first time, make sure you connect to UL's internet or wifi while on campus. (After registration, you can use the course with any internet connection because the website will remember our institutional internet connection for 6 months).
With Nature Masterclasses, Editors from various Nature publications offer insight and lessons about:
- Planning and writing a paper – including “What Makes a Great Paper,” “Data Management” and “From Introductions to Conclusions”
- Submitting to a journal – including “Data Presentation,” “Selecting a Journal for Publication” and “the Editorial Process”
- Publication & authorship – including “Understanding Peer Review,” “Authorship & Authors’ Responsibilities” and “Measuring Impact”
About the course
- Taught by 36 editors from the Nature Research journals
- Bitesize lessons that fit around your work — log in and learn in 10 minutes!
- Receive a certificate when you complete each course-part
The course is broken into 15 modules and 3 parts and requires about 15 hours of effort:
1. Part 1: Writing a research paper: https://masterclasses.nature.com/part-1-writing-a-research-paper/16605458
How to write clearly, write a great title and abstract, and structure your paper — as well as how to manage and present your data.
2. Part 2: Publishing a research paper: https://masterclasses.nature.com/part-2-publishing-a-research-paper/16605574
How to select a journal for publication, submit your article, and navigate the editorial process — including how to write cover letters, the peer review process, and editorial decisions.
3. Part 3: Writing and publishing a review paper: https://masterclasses.nature.com/part-3-writing-and-publishing-a-review-paper/16605582
What makes a great review paper, how to plan and write a review, and how to referee a review paper.
Register today to start using the course: https://masterclasses.nature.com/register/16034046
If you have any questions or would like more information about the course, please contact email@example.com