Mary Pat Butler is a registered psychiatric and general nurse, who was employed by the health services in both Ireland and the UK working across a variety of in-patient, community and home based settings on the continuum from staff nurse to clinical nurse manager over a twenty year period.
Following a post as Nurse Tutor with the former Mid- Western Health Board, Mary Pat was appointed as a faculty member to the Department of Nursing and Midwifery in the University of Limerick in 2004.
Mary Pat's professional interests are in mental health with a particular focus on upskilling registered nurses in psychosocial interventions, and she is also the academic lead for the MSc Nursing (Psychosocial Interventions in Mental Health Care) programme.
Mary Pat's research focus and interests are mainly linked to clinical practice including clinical nurse specialist functioning in psychosocial skills and in mentoring post graduate students in topical research readily applicable to contemporary practice.
Skilled based nursing practice
Psychosocial interventions in mental health
Competency assessment in clinical practice
Depression in primary care
Psychosocial Interventions In Mental Health
Mood and Anxiety Disorders
Mental health and the older person
Child and Adolescent Mental Health
- 2016 Course Board for Masters in Nursing Programmes ,
- 2016 EHS Athena Swan Self-Assessment Committee,
- 2014 Department of Nursing and Midwifery RPL Committee,
- 2014 EHS Research Ethics Committee,
- Department of Nursing and Midwifery Intellectual Disability and Mental Health Research Committee ,
- Department of Nursing and Midwifery Palliative Care/Chronic illness Research Committee,
- University of Limerick Mental Health Committee,
- 2015 - Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2004 University College Cork - MPhil
- 1996 University College Cork - BSc.Nursing Studies (First Class Honours)
- 1992 University Collgee Cork - Diploma in Professional Studies
- 1991 RCSI - Diploma
- 1988 University College Cork - Certificate
- 1987 RCSI - Diploma
- 1986 RCSI - Diploma
- Member, Irish Institute of Mental Health Nursing
- Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) and Registered General Nurse, Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland, Psychiatric Nursing Division and General Nursing Division
- University Of Limerick - Lecturer