Joanna studied at the University of Limerick where she completed her MA in TESOL and a Graduate Diploma in teaching and learning in HE. She has recently completed her doctoral thesis (University of Limerick) in the area of classroom data-led reflective practice and teacher development. Joanna is also a Teaching Assistant in TESOL/Linguistics section in the School of Modern Languages and Applied Linguistics, University of Limerick. She is a member of the Centre for Applied Language Studies (CALS, UL), and the Inter-Varietal Applied Corpus Studies (IVACS) Research Group as well as BAAL and IRAAL.
Joanna's research interest include classroom discourse, reflective practice and teacher development, as well as language teaching methodologies and language teacher education.
Language Teacher Education, Systems of the English Language, TESOL, Theory and Practice of ELT, Classroom Discourse
- 2012 University of Innsbruck, Austria - Senior Lecturer in ELT
- 2009 University of Limerick - Teaching Staff in ELT/ Linguistics
- 2008 Limerick School Project (National School) - EAL Language Support Teacher
- 2011 - ISKS Doctoral Scholarship (2011-2012)
- 2008 - IRCHSS Government of Ireland Scholar (2008-2011)
- 2009 Member, British Association of Applied Linguistics
- 2009 Member, Irish Association of Applied Linguistics
- 2009 Member, Inter-Varietal Corpus Studies Group (IVACS)
2012: Organising Committee Member for MATSDA Conference (9-10 June 2012, UL)
- 2011: Organising Committee Member for ESL event "Supporting You- Supporting Your ESL Students" (11 March 2011, UL)
- Guest lecture: "Intercultural education" Mary Immaculate College, 11 March 2010
- Workshop facilitator: "Language in multicultural classrooms" in-service professional development workshop, Dominican College, Sion Hill, Blackrock, Dublin (06 March 2011)
- Guest lecture: "Reflecting on reflective practice" for module "Exploring TESOL research" University of Aberdeen, 19 September 2016 (via video conferencing)
Looking at the multicultural classrooms in Ireland teacher educators' perspective
'Language, Learning and Teaching: Irish Research Perspectives
Language Education Across Borders
Baumgart, J. and Canham, N.
Philologisch- Kulturwissenschaftliches Kolloquium
Sociolinguistic Symposium 18
IVACS Annual Symposium