Aoife has worked as a speech and language therapist in community services and in primary care at both basic and senior level working mainly with children presenting with primary stammering, speech and language delay/impairment. Aoife led the development of stammering services in the Mid-West region across both paediatric and adult services. Aoife has worked in practice education since 2005.
Aoife was Chair of the Clinical Therapies Practice Education Teams between September, 2014 and November, 2015.
Aoife was involved with comprehensive review and update of the National Clinical Competency Evaluation Form to its current format and use namely, Student Clinical Competency Evaluation (SCCE) and the SCCE Performance Indicators. These works were in collaboration with Practice Education Coordinators from Trinity College Dublin, University College Cork and NUI Galway. (2014-2015)
Aoife is the representative from Speech and Language Therapy in the Department of Clinical Therapies responsible for the development and annual review of the CT Practice Education Policies and Procedures. Aoife leads the annual review of how students manage placement hours in collaboration with members of the SLT course team. Aoife is the module lead for the four practice education placements: Practice Education 1, Practice Education 2, Practice Education 3, Practice Education 4.
Interprofessional Education during Practice Education
Simulated Learning and Placement Readiness
Children with SLCN and the Educational Environment
Research Findings on Factors associated with Stammering Onset and Development; Theories of Stammering Onset and Development, Fluency Assessment Processes and Procedures, Fluency Diagnostic and Prognostic Profiling, Models of Intervention in Fluency, Working with the Education Environment to Enhance Capacities and Ease Challenges for Children/Adolescents who Stammer, Multiculturalism and Stammering, Working with Younger Children who Stammer
Post-qualification Training for Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists and Speech and Language Therapists providing practice education for students of the Department of Clinical Therapies. Previous Topics include: Student Clinical Competency Evaluation: For Development and Rating; Reflective Practice during Practice Education, Facilitating Clinical Reasoning on Placement, Questions for Learning.
Current Interests: IPE in Practice Education, Preparing and Planning for a Student Placement
Preparation for students in advance of practice education placements e.g. Receiving Feedback, Adult Learning Principles, Resilience
- 2011 Chair of Local Organising Committee IALP Dublin 2016, Irish Association of Speech and Language Therapists
- 2011 Vice-President, International Association Logopedics and Phoniatrics
- 2010 Member of IASLT Council, Irish Association of Speech and Language Therapists
- 2010 IASLT Student Liaison Officer, Irish Association of Speech and Language Therapists
- 2004 Member, Irish Association of Speech and Language Therapists
- Assessment of School-Aged Children who Stammer: a Workshop delivered to HSE Speech and Language Therapists (Mid-West) March, 2017
- Planning for Patient Outcomes: a workshop supporting Speech and Language Therapists working with SLT students April, 2015
- CAMHS Regional Supervision Network Facilitation: May, 2014 to July 2016
- Managing Stammering: Children, Adults and their Families: a workshop for HSE Speech and Language Therapists (Mid-West) September 2009; HSE Speech and Language Therapists (Kerry and Cork) January, 2010 in collaboration with Mary O'Dwyer
Peer Reviewed Journals
Living with Cleft Lip and Palate: an Exploration of a Pre-Adolescent's Experience
McGuire, A; Walshe M
(2005) Living with Cleft Lip and Palate: an Exploration of a Pre-Adolescent's Experience
In Journal Of Clinical Speech And Language Studies;