I graduated in 2005 from the University of Limerick with a BSc. in Mathematical Sciences and Computing (majoring in Statistics). I subsequently began a PhD at UL in 2005 with Dr. Kevin Hayes, examining the use of the linear mixed effects model in functional data analysis. I graduated in 2008 and then spent a year lecturing statistics in UL. In 2009 I began a postdoctoral position with Professor John Hinde at NUI Galway, developing models to cluster time-course microarray data. In 2011, I was appointed as lecturer in statistics at UCD and began the position in January 2012. This was a joint appointment between the School of Mathematical Sciences and Systems Biology Ireland. I began my current lecturing position at the University of Limerick in September 2013.
My main area of interest is in the statistical modelling of time-course/functional data using the mixed effects model. I have applied these methods to analyse biological data, e.g. RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, mass-spectometry, microarray data and biomechanics data.
- Statistical analysis of time-course/functional data.
- Smoothing using the mixed effects model.
- Finite mixture model clustering of time-course data.
- Modelling -omics data, e.g. RNA-seq data, mass spectrometry data, ChiP-seq data, etc.
- Statistical modelling in biomechanics.
- 2013 University of Limerick - Lecturer in Statistics
- 2012 University College Dublin - Lecturer in Statistics
- 2009 NUI Galway - Postdoctoral researcher
- 2008 University of Limerick - Junior lecturer in Statistics
- 2009 University of Limerick - PhD
- 2005 University of Limerick - BSc (Hons)
- 2007 - Best postgraduate student presentation at the Conference for Applied Statistics in Ireland
- 2005 - Advanced Scholar Award
- 2005 - Silver Medal
- 2005 - Models for Functional Data Analysis of a Longitudinal Design
- 2004 - Hamilton Prize
- 2001 - University of Limerick High Achiever's Award
- Seminar speaker, School of Mathematics, Statistics & Applied Mathematics seminar series, NUI Galway, 27th January 2011
- Seminar speaker, School of Mathematical Sciences seminar series, UCD, 13th February 2014
- Seminar speaker, Department of Mathematics and Statistics seminar series, NUI Maynooth, 7th December 2012
- Speaker at the Women in Mathematics Day, Ireland at NUI, Galway, 1st May 2014.
- Seminar speaker, Bioinformatics seminar series, NUI Galway, 25th May 2011
- Invited speaker at the summer meeting of the British and Irish region of the International Biometric Society, Medway Park, Gillingham, UK, 20th June 2012
- Invited speaker at the summer meeting of the British and Irish region of the International Biometric Society, NUI Galway, 10th June 2011
Reviewer for Statistics in Medicine, the Journal of Classification, the International Journal of Biostatistics, Human Movement Science, Statistics and Computing, Computational Statistics and Data Analysis.
- Lean/DFSS certification covering all topics required by Six Sigma Green Belts and the basic Lean principles
- Volunteer for Special Olympics Ireland, 2014
- Executive Member, Irish Statistical Association
- Irish Statistical Association,
- Statistical Consulting Unit, UL -
- Clinical Research Facility, Galway -
Finite mixture model clustering of SNP data,
Bargary, N., Hinde, J. and Garcia, A. F.
Statistical Modelling in Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Selected Papers
Analysis of Biomechanical Waveform Data
Deluzio, K. J., Harrison, A. J., Coffey, N., and Caldwell, G.E.
Research Methods in Biomechanics, 2nd Edition
33rd Conference of the International Society of Biomechanics in Sports
Smith, R.M., Warmenhoven, J., Draper, C., Cobley, S., Harrison, A. and Bargary, N.
Coordinating Group on Environmental Radioactivity (COGER 2014)
L. Morrison, L. McKitterick, L., Currivan, C.A. McMahon, N. Bargary, M. O'Colmain, M. Hayes, M.D. Guiry
27th International Conference on Biomechanics in Sports
Hamill, J., Van Emmerik, R., Miller, R., O¿Connor, K., Coffey, N. and Harrison, A.J.,
Peer Reviewed Journal
Individualised cognitive functional therapy compared with a combined exercise and pain education class for patients with non-specific chronic low back pain: A multicentre randomised controlled trial
M O'Keeffe, H Purtill, N Kennedy, P O'Sullivan, W Dankaerts, A Tighe, L Allworthy, L Dolan, N Bargary, K O'Sullivan
Manual therapy DOI: 10.1016/j.math.2016.05.130
A prospective observational study of techniques to remove corneal foreign body in the Emergency Department.
Quirke, M., Mullarkey, C., Coffey, N., O'Donnell, J. and Binchy, J.
Emergency Medicine Journal
Clustering longitudinal profiles using P-splines and mixed models applied to time-course gene expression data.
Coffey, N., Hinde, J. and Holian, E.
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis DOI: 10.1016/j.csda.2013.04.001
Quality of life gains among people with type 1 diabetes following DAFNE.
Byrne, M., Newell, J., Coffey, N, O'Hara, M.C., Cooke, D. and Dinneen, S.F.
Psychology & Health
Group follow-up compared to individual clinic visits after structured education for type 1 diabetes: a cluster randomised controlled trial.
Dinneen, S.F., O'Hara, M.C., Byrne, M., Smith, D., Courtney, C.H., McGurk, C., Heller, S., Newell, J., Coffey, N., Breen, C., O'Scannail, M. and O'Shea, D.
Diabetes Research And Clinical Practice DOI: 10.1016/j.diabres.2013.01.017
Predictors of quality of life gains among people with type 1 diabetes participating in the Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating (DAFNE) structured education programme.
Byrne, M., Newell, J., Coffey, N., O'Hara, M. C., Cooke, D. and Dinneen, S.F.
Diabetes Research And Clinical Practice
Effects of structured education among individuals with type 1 diabetes who experience episodes of severe hypoglycaemia in Ireland.
Rahmani, G.S., O'Hara, M.C., Coffey, N., Newell, J. and Dinneen, S.F.
Irish Journal Of Medical Science
Group follow-up compared to individual clinic follow-up after structured education for type 1 diabetes: The Irish DAFNE Study.
Dinneen, S.F., O'Hara, M.C., Newell, J., Coffey, N., O'Shea, D., Smith, D., Courtney, H., McGurk, C., O'Scannáil, M., Breen, C.
Comparing the effect of 2 different methods of follow-up after structured group education on psychosocial measures in patients with type 1 diabetes: the Irish DAFNE Study.
O'Hara, M.C., Dinneen, S.F., Newell, J., Coffey, N. and Byrne, M.
The effect of breast cancer awareness month on internet search activity a comparison with awareness campaigns for lung and prostate cancer.
Glynn, R. W., Kelly, J. C., Coffey, N., Sweeney, K. J. And Kerin, M. J.
Analyzing time-course microarray data using functional data analysis - a review.
Coffey, N., Hinde, J.
Statistical Applications In Genetics And Molecular Biology
Comparing the effect of 2 different methods of follow-up after structured education on psychosocial measures in patients with type 1 diabetes: the Irish DAFNE Study.
Dinneen, S.F., O'Hara, M.C., Newell, J., Coffey, N., O'Shea, D., Smith, D., Courtney, H., McGurk, C., O'Scannáil, M., Breen, C. and Byrne, M.
Irish Journal Of Medical Science
O-81 The impact of caseload on practice patterns in breast cancer: Evidence from the UK Breast Screening Programme.
Glynn, R. W., Marshall, N., Coffey, N., Kearins, O., Lawrence, G., Bishop, H. and Kerin, M. J.
European Journal Of Cancer