Mary Fitzpatrick is Dean, Teaching and Learning (Acting) and the Shannon Consortium Regional Teaching and Learning Advocate in the Centre for Teaching and Learning at the University of Limerick. She is Course Director of the Specialist Diploma in Teaching, Learning and Scholarship (Garda College) and leads three modules on the programme and has just progressed three new awards in Teaching, Learning and Scholarship for offer in AY 2016/17. Her key area of expertise is the professional development of teaching and learning among academics and she works with, and supports, faculty through key initiatives which promote academic development such as reflective practice, feedback and evaluation, development of teaching portfolios, peer observation partnerships and engagement in teaching excellence awards. She continues to lead an inter-institutional project on regional teaching enhancement within three higher educational institutions, establishing a wide range of professional development initiatives to this end. She is an elected member of both Educational Developers in Ireland Network (EDIN) and Staff and Educational Developers Association (SEDA) Executive Committees. She is currently leading a collaborative project on Professional Capacity Building in the Shannon Consortium which is funded by the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. Her research interests lie within learning and development with a particular focus on efficacy of professional development activities, the student experience in teaching and learning, and the role of learning and development at work. She is a Senior Fellow of SEDA and a chartered member of the CIPD. She has extensive HRD consultancy experience within both the private and public sector.
Research interests lie within learning and development with a particular focus on efficacy of professional development activities, the student experience in teaching and learning, and the role of learning and development at work.
Academic Development, Reflective Practice, Human Resource Development, Organisational Behaviour, Human Resource Management
- 2015 Staff and Educational Developer Association - Conference Committee,
- 2015 Staff and Educational Developer Association Executive Committee,
- 2013 Educational Developers in Ireland Network,
- 2010 University of Limerick Quality Task Force (Teaching and Learning), Advise on benchmarking the University's teaching and research activities against those of leading international universities.
- 2007 Educational Developers in Ireland Network,
- 2007 Shannon Consortium Strategic Planning Task Force,
- 2012 - Teaching Excellence Award - Shortlist
- 2008 - Teaching Excellence Award - UL shortlist
- Member, Irish Network for the Enhancement of Writing (INEW)
- Member, Irish Academy of Management (IAM)
- Member, University Forum for Human Resource Development (UFHRD)
- Member, All Ireland Society for Higher Education (AISHE)
- SFSEDA, SEDA
- Committee Member, Educational Developers in Ireland
- Expert panel member, National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning
- MCIPD, Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
- Reviewer for Innovations in Education and Teaching International
- Reviewer for European Journal of Training and Development
External Examiner on MA in Human Resource Management and the Postgraduate Diploma in HRM, National College of Ireland (Sept 2007-2011)
Developing a regional approach to outstanding teaching and learning: a case study
O'Farrell, C. & Farrell, A.
Emerging Issues in Higher Education III: From capacity building to sustainability
Student Engagement in and out of the classroom
Teaching and Learning - IAM special interest group
Department of An Taoiseach
American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting
Enright, E., Coll, L., Fitzpatrick, M. & Ní Chróinín, D.
Irish Academy of Management
Fitzpatrick, M. & Heraty, N.
European Training Foundation
Fitzpatrick, M. & Heraty, N.
Fitzpatrick, M. & MacMahon, J.
33rd Annual International Nursing & Midwifery Research and Education Conference Fundamental of Nursing and Midwifery Practice
Carmel Bradshaw, Judi Pettigrew and Mary Fitzpatrick
MacMahon, J. and fitzpatrick M
Global HRM conference
MacMahon, J. & Fitzpatrick, M.
Peer Reviewed Journal
Student voice as risky praxis: democratising physical education teacher education
Enright, E,Coll, L,Ni Chroinin, D,Fitzpatrick, M
Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy DOI: 10.1080/17408989.2016.1225031
Exploring both positive and negative experiences associated with engaging in teaching awards in a higher education context
Fitzpatrick, M,Moore, S
Innovations In Education And Teaching International DOI: 10.1080/14703297.2013.866050