Maria Rieder is a Lecturer in Sociolinguistics at the University of Limerick. Her research is concerned with the critical study of language in situations of economic and social inequality. She is chair of the new inter-faculty research cluster 'Economics in Public Discourse'. Her main current project is a major interdisciplinary and international study of the news coverage of Thomas Pikettys book Capital in the 21st Century using Critical Discourse Analysis, Framing and Content Analysis. Further, she is involved in research on media and social protest, issues of immigration and asylum, critical intercultural communication and minority languages and economics. Her published work focuses on social and economic inequality, human rights and minority communities, with a specific focus on the role of language, language perceptions and language ideologies in the production of power and social conflict.
She is convener of the AILA Research Network Folk linguistics, a member of the Centre for Applied Language Studies (CALS) and of the Centre for Irish-German Studies.
She lectures in the areas of Sociolinguistics, Linguistic Anthropology, Cultural Theory, Applied Linguistics, and Research Methods.
- the role of language in the production of power and social conflict
- minority languages and communities
- folk linguistics and language ideology
- social and economic inequality
- language and migration
- language and the media
- pragmatics and prosody
- ethnography of communication
- critical discourse analysis
- (critical) intercultural communication
Linguistic Anthropology, Sociolinguistics, Minority Languages, Applied Linguistics, Cultural Theory, Language and Globalisation, CDA, Race Theory, Gender Studies, Pragmatics, Language and Media, Research Methods
- 2018 University of Limerick - Lecturer in Sociolinguistics
- 2017 University of Limerick - Postdoctoral Researcher in Sociolinguistics of (In)equality
- 2016 University of Jyväskylä - Postdoctoral Researcher for the research collegium for language in changing society (RECLAS)
- 2016 University of Limerick - Part-time Lecturer in Applied Linguistics
- 2014 University of Limerick - Part-time Lecturer in German
- 2007 University of Regensburg - Tutor in English Linguistics
- 2015 Trinity College Dublin - PhD
- 2008 University of Regensburg - Master of Arts (Education)
- 2008 University of Regensburg - Bachelor of Arts
- 2008 University of Regensburg - Diploma
- 2008 University of Regensburg - Diploma
- Member, Centre for Applied Language Studies
- Member, Centre for Irish-German Studies
- Member, Linguistic Ethnography Forum
- Member, International Pragmatics Association
- Member, Anthropological Association of Ireland
- Member, Irish Association of Applied Linguistics
- Convener, AILA Research Network 'Folk Linguistics'
- Athena Swan MLAL Committee,
- Andrea Grisold - Joint Publication - Vienna University of Economics & Business -Austria
- Sari Pietikäinen - Joint Publication - University of Jyväskylä -Finland
- Hendrik Theine - Joint Publication - Vienna University of Economics & Business -Austria
- Eugenia Siapera - Joint Publication -Country -University College Dublin, Ireland
- Henry Silke - Joint Publication -UL
- Gisela Holfter - Joint Publication -UL
Minority Languages and Markets
Pietikäinen, S.; Kelly-Holmes, H., Rieder, M.
Handbook of Minority Languages and Communities
The Case of Cant: The Irish Travellers and their Linguistic Repertoire in the Context of a Changing Cultural Identity.
Vanishing Languages in Context: Ideological, Attitudinal and Social Identity Perspectives. DOI: 10.3726/978-3-653-06261-8
Irish Traveller English
Further Studies in the Lesser-known Varieties of English
Modernity, Diversity and the Question of a Shared Past: Two Irish Traveller Women Share Their Thoughts.
Migrants and Cultural Memory: The Representation of Difference.
3rd International EDiSo Symposium: Inequality and New Social Discourses
Rieder, M.; Caglitutuncigil, T.
International Symposium of Bilingualism
30 Years of Erasmus in Ireland: Study Abroad in Research and Practice
Rieder, M., Holfter, G.
International Pragmatics Conference
Interpretive Policy Analysis
Maria Rieder and Hendrik Theine
Discourse Hub Seminar
Arbeitstagung zur Gesprächsforschung
CALS Research Day
Peer Reviewed Journal
`Piketty is a genius, but ¿ ¿: an analysis of journalistic delegitimation of Thomas Piketty¿s economic policy proposals
Rieder M.;Theine H.
Critical Discourse Studies DOI: 10.1080/17405904.2019.1573148
Telling the truth about power? Journalism discourses and the facilitation of inequality
Silke H.;Quinn F.;Rieder M.
Critical Discourse Studies DOI: 10.1080/17405904.2019.1568897
Irish Travellers Views on Cant: Uncovering Folk-Criteria of Languageness.
"Things I would have liked to know before How to Enhance the Erasmus Experience
Rieder, M. and G. Holfter
German As A Foreign Language