Dr. Lucy Hearne is a qualified Guidance Counsellor, Course Director, Lecturer and Researcher. She has worked in a number of guidance settings, including the Irish Adult Educational Guidance Service (AEGS). Her doctoral studies focused on outcome measurement in adult guidance practice for which she was a recipient of a full Irish Research Council for Humanities and Social Sciences Scholarship (IRCHSS) 2006-2009. Since then she has received an IRCHSS New Ideas Research award (5,800) in 2011and in 2014 an Irish Research Council (IRC) New Foundations Award (6,000); IRC Starter Research Grant (75,000) and a UL EHS Faculty Seed Funding Grant (9,120). In 2017 she was awarded a NISE Seed Fund for Research (4,000) in collaboration with Cathal de Paor and Karina Ryan, MIC. Her research areas include adult guidance counselling, lifelong guidance counselling, career development, reflective practice and adult education.
Areas of interest include lifelong guidance counselling, public policy, adult education, career development and reflective practice.
My specific areas of teaching relate to my role as Course Director and Lecturer on the MA in Guidance Counselling and Lifespan Development in the University of Limerick. The particular curriculum areas I teach are Career Development and Guidance Counselling across the Lifespan, Human Development Psychology, Research Methods in Guidance Counselling, Practicum Placement and Reflective Practice, and Adult Guidance Counselling.
- 2018 International Journal of Educational and Vocational Guidance,
- 2015 British Journal of Guidance and Counselling ,
- Directors of Studies in Guidance Counselling,
- 2017 - NISE Seed Fund for Research (with Cathal dePaor & Karina Ryan, MIC)
- 2014 - IRC Research Starter Grant
- 2014 - IRC New Foundations' award
- 2014 - EHS, UL Seed Funding
- 2011 - IRCHSS New Ideas Award
- 2010 Waterford Institute of Technology - Doctor of Humanities
- 2000 UCD - HDip
- 1998 UCC - Bachelor of Arts
- 2001 Waterford Institute of Technology - Guidance Counsellor/Researcher
- Member, Network for Innovation in Career Guidance and Counseling in Europe
- Member, Institute of Guidance Counsellors