Research InterestsMy research interest lies in understanding how knowledge can be managed as an organisational resource. I am particularly interested in:
- The role technology, and in particular, knowledge repositories, can play in codifying and making knowledge available within organisations.
- How knowledge repositories affect how firms organise their service delivery strategies.
- The development and implementation of knowledge management strategies in international non-governmental organisations.
I have published in core information and knowledge management journals such as the Journal of Knowledge Management, the International Journal of Information Management, Knowledge Management Research and Practice, Journal of Knowledge-Based Development, VINE Journal of Information & Knowledge Systems and the Journal of Information and Knowledge Management. In addition, I have also published on the effects of knowledge management as it impacts other disciplines such as services (Journal of Service Theory & Practice) and project management (International Journal of Project Management, Project Management Research & Practice) to open up the importance of knowledge management to new audiences. I am also interested in how knowledge codification using learning analytics can be used to understand how students interact with online learning platforms and have published on this in the International Journal of Management Education and in Research in Education and Learning Innovation.
Teaching Interests: I primarily teach knowledge management modules to undergraduate and post-graduate students as well as facilitating a Business Simulation capstone module for MA in Business Management students during the Summer semester. My teaching uses a flipped classroom approach where content is delivered electronically to give more class time over to discussing the application of knowledge in different contexts and is closely linked to one of my research interests on how to use learning analytics to understand online student behaviour. Current Projects: Knowledge Management for Sustainable Agricultural practices in East Africa- with Dr John Lannon (CEO Doras Luimnigh) and Ms. Rebecca Tumwebaze (KBS Dean's Scholarship student). Dynamic knowledge strategies in medical services firms- with Prof. Jamie O'Brien, St. Norbert College, Wisconsin, USA. Learning Analytics and Flipped Classrooms, a Longitudinal approach- with Dr. Angelica Risquez, Centre for Transformative Learning, UL.. Examining student performance and online behaviours- with Dr. Michael O'Brien, KBS. Applying Learning Analytics at the programme level for post-experience students- with Dr. Michael O'Brien and the Management Development Unit KBS. Using Business Simulation software to develop strategic management thinking in post-graduate students: a 10-year study- with Dr. Elaine Berkery, KBS.
- 2018 KBS Teaching and Learning Committee,
- 2017 Kemmy Business School Athena Swan Committee,
- 2012 Programme Development Team: Masters Degree in Digital Management,
- 2012 Limerick Community Connect: Digital Strategy Development Group,
- 2011 Department of Management & Marketing Quality Review Committee,
- Kemmy Business School Taught Postgraduate Forum,
- Athena Swan UL Institutional Renewal Committee,
- 2018 University of Limerick - MA (T&L)
- 2010 Brunel University - PhD
- 1996 University of Limerick - M.B.S.
- 1994 University of Limerick - BBS
- 2003 Founding Member, Association of Information Systems (Irish Chapter)
- Worked as a member of the group developing a Digital Inclusion Strategy for the city of Limerick.
- Trocaire - I have been working with Trocaire since 2014 to examine how they manage knowledge as a corporate resource in a not-for-profit environment.
- Limerick Community Connect Digital Strategy Development Group. - I was a member of the Limerick Community Connect Digital Strategy Development Group which brought together multiple stakeholders to develop a strategy for Limerick city to help increase electronic participation in disadvantaged areas.