Dr McMahon is a psychologist with an interest in the area of social emotional development, mental health and special educational needs. Previous posts included working as an evaluator for Jigsaw, the National Youth Mental Health Centre and as project manager for the design and implementation of a mental health service for young people aged 12-25. She is currently a member of the Jigsaw Advisory Group (JAG) for Limerick city and county. In addition Dr. McMahon has had a lead role in several projects related to recovery in mental health and was a steering group member of the Advancing Recovery in Ireland (ARI) Mid West committee.
Dr. McMahons research interests also include the provision of evidence based services to children with Autism Spectrum Condition (ASC) and she has previously been funded by the National Disability Authority to conduct research in this area. She also has a particular interest in schools as sites of mental health support and the provision of quality support for students with complex learning needs. Jennifer is the founder and co-director of the i-TEACH (Teaching for Inclusion) research lab (www.i-teach.ie) at the School of Education, Faculty of Education & Health Sciences UL.
Topics of Interest
1. Social Emotional learning
2. School/Student Mental Health
3. Special Educational Needs (particularly autism spectrum conditions)
4. Science of Evaluation & Implementation - Teacher as Researcher
5. Recovery in Mental Health
Current research projects include a randomised control trial of an intervention to build capacity in student teachers to support the mental health needs of students and a systematic review of interventions to promote teacher capacity in supporting students with disabilities.
Main areas of interest
- Social and emotional learning
- Child & Adolescent Mental health
- Special educational needs (particularly autism spectrum conditions)
- Science of Evaluation & Implementation Evidence to Practice
Dr. McMahon teaches in the area of psychology of education and complex learning needs.
- 2016 Jigsaw Limerick Implementation Group ,
- 2016 ACAMHS Special Interest Group Youth Mental Health,
- 2016 AERA Social Emotional Learning SIG,
- 2014 Limerick Mental Health Association,
- 2013 University of Limerick - Lecturer in Psychology & Special Education
- 2012 Headstrong: The National Centre for Youth Mental Health - Project Manager
- 2011 Headstrong: The National Centre for Youth Mental Health - Programme Evaluator
- National University of Ireland, Galway - Lecturer in Psychology
- 2012 University of Limerick - PhD
- 2006 University of Limerick - Bachelor of Arts (Hons)
- 2010 - Best Overall Speaker
- 2008 - Highly Commended
- Director of i-TEACH (Teaching for Inclusion) Research Lab. www.i-Teach.ie
Educational Studies Association of Ireland (ESAI)
McMahon J. & Slattery E.
Annual European Association for Behaviour Analysis conference.
McMahon J. and V. Cullinan.
Annual Conference of the Division of Behaviour Analysis (DBA)
McMahon J., & Cullinan V.
34th Annual ABAI Conference
McMahon J. & Cullinan V.
The Annual European Applied Behaviour Analysis (EABA) conference
McMahon J. & Cullinan V.
Peer Reviewed Journal
Exploring Eclecticism: The impact of educational theory on the development and implementation of comprehensive education programmes (CEP's) for young children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
McMahon, J,Cullinan, V
Research In Autism Spectrum Disorders DOI: 10.1016/j.rasd.2016.07.005
Recovery Education College: A Needs Analysis
McMahon J., Wallace N., Kelly J. and Egan E.