I studied Mathematics and completed a two-year MSc in Applied Mathematics & Numerical Analysis at the Department of Mathematics, University of Athens, Greece with grade ''Excellent'' highest mark in the Greek system.
As a MSc student I received a travel grant to visit the Department of Mathematics at the University of North Texas, USA. There I studied a partial differential equation's geometric evolution problem of networks of triple junctions in planar domains and wrote my MSc dissertation.
In July 2012 I received my PhD in Applied Mathematics from the Department of Mathematics, University of Athens, Greece, focusing on singular discrete time control systems and their applications.
Since then, I worked for fifteen months as a Post-Doctoral Research & Teaching Fellow in Optimization at the School of Mathematics, University of Edinburgh, UK. There, I worked on second order methods for compressed sensing problems with coherent and redundant dictionaries and on singular systems of fractional nabla difference equations.
In addition, I worked for six months as a Post-Doctoral Research Associate at the Modelling and Simulation Centre, School of Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering, University of Manchester, UK. There I worked on the theoretical development and computational implementation in the non-linear mechanics of discrete systems representing materials microstructures. I focused on methods for steel microstructure to lattice mapping and plasticity formulation for lattice.
Currently, my main research duties are to plan and manage my own research activity in Applied Mathematics in collaboration with internal and external researchers and to be responsible for liaising between MACSI and its engineering partners at ERC, University College Dublin within the Strategic Research Cluster ''Sustainable Electrical Energy Systems''. I am funded through the SEES Cluster, supported by Science Foundation Ireland under Grant Number SFI/09/SRC/E1780.
My current research interests include singular systems, fractional calculus, optimization methods, networks, differential & difference equations with applications in mechanics, power systems and economic modeling.
Keywords: Singular systems, Fractional Calculus, Optimization, Mathematical Modelling, Networks.
- 2008 Department of Mathematics, University of Athens, Greece - Teaching Assistant, Instructor, PhD student 2008-2012
- 2006 Institute for Higher Education, Athens, Greece - Teaching, Instructor 2006-2012
- 2006 Ekpedefsi, Private School in Athens, Greece - Teacher 2006 (6 months)
- 2005 University of North Texas, US - Postgrad Researcher (2005-2006, 8 months)
- 2003 Department of Mathematics, University of Athens, Greece - MSc student in Applied Mathematics and Numerical Analysis (2003-2005)
- School of Mathematics, University of Edinburgh - Postdoctoral Research and Teaching Fellow 2012-2014 (16 months)
- MACSI, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Limerick Ireland - Post-Doctoral Researcher
- Modelling and Simulation Centre, The University of Manchester, United Kingdom - Post-Doctoral Research Associate 2014 (6 months)