BiographyDeirdre O'Loughlin, BA, MBS, PhD, MII Grad is Associate Professor of Marketing and Assistant Dean, Research at the Kemmy Business School in the University of Limerick. She held a number of positions in industry before she joined academic where she lectured at Dublin City University and University College Cork before joining UL. She has over 25 years experience in academia as a researcher and educator.
As Assistant Dean Research in the KBS she is responsible for leading the research strategy of the school. She is also Chair of the KBS Research Committee and sits on several university committees including Academic Council and Graduate Research Working Group. She was strategic lead for Research on the recent EQUIS accreditation application by the KBS, securing 3 years accreditation in December 2021.
She has held a number of administrative roles at UL including Programme Director, BBS and BBS & Languages and has served on several university and school level committees including UL Marketing Committee, UL Academic Council, BBS Course Board (Chair) and Student Status Committee. She successfully chaired the Department of Management and Marketing Quality Review Committee in 2012 and led the Review of the BBS in 2014-2015. She was member and subsequently Chair of the KBS Research Ethics Committee from 2017-2019. She was also Academic Mentor for the Department of Management and Marketing 2018-2020.
She is a graduate member of the Marketing Institute of Ireland (MII Grad.) and actively involved with marketing practitioners and industry networks. She is a member of the Board of Directors of the Cliffs of Moher Visitor Experience.
- Credit and Debt Consumption.
- Financial Insecurity and Consumer Responses to Austerity and other Crises.
- Service Research and Financial Services. Value co creation in Health Services including Family Caring.
- Sustainability, Social Marketing and Policy, CSR and Ethics.
- Branding and Digital Marketing.
- Relationship Marketing.
Her research critically explores the intersection between marketing, consumption, vulnerability and social/public policy within a number of key contexts including debt and austerity research, family caring, and co-creation in health and financial services. Her research has high impact in a number of key domains specifically in exposing the effects of austerity, credit and debt consumption, highlighting marketing and consumer responsibility, and identifying the social and public policy implications.
She has published in a broad range of highly ranked international peer reviewed journals including Journal of Service Research, Journal of Business Research, European Journal of Marketing, Sociology, Social Policy and Administration, The Services Industries Journal, Journal of Marketing Management, Journal of Strategic Marketing, Journal of Consumer Marketing, Irish Marketing Review, the Australasia Journal of Marketing, Studies in Higher Education, and Innovations in Education and Training International.
She has presented at many Irish, UK, European and International conferences including the Academy of Marketing, Macromarketing, European Marketing Association Conference (EMAC), Australasia New Zealand Marketing Association Conference (ANZMAC), American Marketing Association Winter Educators conference and the Advances in Consumer Research (ACR) conference, USA.
Deirdre has successfully secured several research grants through the UL/University of Massachusetts funding programme, Combat Poverty Agency Ireland and university seed-funding initiatives. She also secured HEA/ UL funding to conduct collaborative research on peer observation of teaching processes and best practice. She acts as reviewer for a wide range of marketing journals and conferences and is the Associate Editor of the International Journal of Bank Marketing.
- 2021 UL Sustainable Working Group,
- 2021 Academic Council ,
- 2020 UL Talent & Career Development Committee,
- 2019 KBS Research Committee,
- 2019 UL Postgraduate Research Committee,
- 2019 UL Graduate Research Working Group,
- 2017 KBS Research Ethics Committee,
- 2014 BBS Review Committee,
- 2011 Department of Management and Marketing Quality Review Committee,
- 2008 UL Academic Council ,
- 2008 EPAS Committee,
- 2007 UL Marketing Committee,
- 2005 EQUIS Committee,
- 2004 Research Committee,
- 2004 BBS Course Board,
- 2020 - KBS Individual Teaching Excellence Award
- 2012 - Shortlisted for Shannon Consortium Regional Teaching Award
- 2011 - Shortlisted for Shannon Consortium Regional Teaching Award
- 2008 - Honorary Senior Research Felllow
- 2005 - UL Teaching Excellence Award
- 2004 - Shortlised for Teaching Excellence Award
- 2005 Swedish School of Economics - H.Dip in International Teaching Practicce
- 2003 University of Birmingham - Ph.D.
- 1995 UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School - MBS
- 1994 Dublin City University - BA
- Member, Association for Consumer Research (ACR)
- MII Graduate Member, Marketing Institute of Ireland
- Member of Board of Directors, Cliffs of Moher Visitor Experience
- Member, EIASM - EMAC
- Belem Barbosa - International Collaboration Type - Universidade de Aveiro -Portugal
- Isabelle Szmigin - International Collaboration Type - University of Birmingham -England
- Kalipso Karantinou - International Collaboration Type - Athens University of Economics & Business -Greece
- Kalipso Karantinou - Visiting Professor/Lecturer - Athens University of Economics & Business -Greece
- Maria Eugenia Fernandez- Moya - International Collaboration Type - CESUGA -Spain
- Morven Mc Eachern - International Collaboration Type - University of Huddersfield -England
- Werner Kunz - Joint Publication - University of Massachusetts Boston -USA
- Carol Kelleher - Joint Publication - University College Cork
- Johanna Gummerus - International Collaboration Type - Hanken School of Economics -Finland