BiographyBrendan is lecturer in Health and Physical Education in the Department of Physical Education and Sport Sciences (PESS), University of Limerick. He graduated with a BSc. in Physical Education from the University of Limerick in 2014, achieving the Liam Dugdale Award and EHS Faculty Academic Achievement Medal for highest grade point average. Brendan taught Physical Education in Glenstal Abbey School, Limerick, from 2014 to 2016, before returning to the Department of Physical Education and Sport Sciences in September 2016 to complete a Doctorate funded by the Irish Research Council. Brendan's Doctoral studies focused on developing a pedagogically sound and scientifically rigorous approach to monitoring health-related fitness in secondary schools.
After completing his doctoral studies, Brendan joined the School of Health and Human Performance at Dublin City University in September 2020 where he lectured across a range of modules. From there, Brendan returned to the PESS Department at the University of Limerick where he was appointed lecturer in Health and Physical. His research interests span across a broad range of health and fitness related themes among youth, including: the pedagogy of health-related fitness; scalable school-based health promotion intervention; resistance training in youth; and Teacher Education. He has also served on the Executive of the Physical Education Association of Ireland for the past six years.
Research InterestsBrendan's research interests span across a broad range of health and fitness related themes among youth, including: the pedagogy of health-related fitness; scalable school-based health promotion intervention; resistance exercise in youth; and Teacher Education.
- 2022 Annual Forum Organising Committee Chair, PEPAYS Ireland
- 2022 Research Partner - https://www.fitbackeurope.eu/en-us/, Fitback Europe Consortium
- 2017 Executive Officer, Physical Education Association of Ireland
- 2021 - Erasmus+ KA220-VET - Cooperation partnerships in vocational education and training
- 2019 - Health Research Institute Elevator Pitch Winner
- 2019 - All Ireland Postgraduate Research Conference in Sport Sciences and Physical Activity
- 2017 - Government of Ireland Irish Research Council Postgraduate Scholarship Award
- 2014 - Faculty of Education & Health Sciences, Silver Medal for Overall highest QCA
- 2021 Dublin City University - Lecturer in Health & Physical Education
- 2021 University of Limerick - Lecturer in Physical Education
- 2016 University of Limerick - PhD Researcher
- 2014 Glenstal Abbey School - Physical Education Teacher