Bijal is currently working within the FHI Healthy Ageing and Performance Nutrition work package in UL. She holds a BSc degree in Biomedical Science from the University of Western Australia, an MSc in Biomedical and Molecular Sciences Research from King's College London, and a PhD in Physiology (Cardiovascular Research) from King's College London. Her PhD was supported by a grant from the British Heart Foundation. Bijal graduated with a PhD in 2014, and her thesis focused on the effects of a naturally occurring isothiocyanate in regulating redox signalling in foetal endothelial cells of infants born to gestational diabetic mothers. She conducts research on the effects of bioactive peptides in regulating protein synthesis using cell-based assays and ex vivo samples.
Research InterestsBijal's main research interest revolves around the effects of dietary compounds with bioactive properties on oxidative stress and redox signalling. Oxidative stress underlies the pathology of many diseases, and understanding the relationship between specific bioactive dietary compounds and disease may play a crucial therapeutic role. She is currently working within the FHI Healthy Ageing and Performance Nutrition work package at the University of Limerick. She is currently conducting research on the effects of bioactive peptides in regulating protein synthesis using cell-based assays and ex vivo samples. Further research will also be conducted on the effects of oxidative damage to macromolecules using cell and non-cell based assay in vitro and ex vivo assays, and how bioactive dietary compounds may abrogate the deleterious effects of oxidative stress in a model of ageing.
- 2014 King's College London - PhD
- 2010 King's College London - MSc
- 2008 University of Western Australia - BSc
- 2014 King's College London - Research Scientist
- 2014 University of East London - Scientific Officer - Pharmacology
- 2013 Google - International Google Science Fair Judge
- 2011 GSK and Drug Control Centre - Olympic Analyst
- 2010 King's College London - Postgraduate demonstrator/tutor in undergraduate Physiology, Pharmacology and scientific techniques laboratory classes
- 2010 King's College London - Laboratory Techniques Demonstrator and Tutor
- 2011 - Poster communication
- 2010 - PhD studentship
- 2010 - Hider prize
- 2009 - SEEK peer mentor recognition
- SEEK peer mentor (2006-2007) - I was awarded the SEEK peer mentor recognition as part of my BSc degree due to my contribution in Science mentoring in High Schools around Perth, Australia.
- UniMentor (2006-2008) As a UniMentor I helped Science undergraduate students transition into uni life.UniMentor
- Mission Discovery, King's College London (2014) As a STEM mentor, mentored 14-18 year old high school students for a week, in designing feasible biomedical experiments to be sent up and carried out on the International Space Station.ISSET