Qualifications: Bachelor of Arts (1st Hons) in Psychology and Sociology, University of Limerick
Proposed PhD Title: Integrating Homeless Services Users’ Experiences to Develop a Measure of Empowering Homeless Services
PhD Supervisors: Dr Ronni Greenwood and Dr. Eric Igou.
Research interests: Empowerment, homeless services implementation and evaluation, exclusion and social inequality, rehabilitative and addictions services.
Branagh previously worked on the Horizon 2020 European study of chronic homelessness, “Homelessness as Unfairness’”. As part of the Irish team, she worked on the services user’s study. This study explored the perceptions of homeless service users in relation to the services they receive. Branagh’s dissertation project complements the aims and objectives of the “Homelessness as Unfairness” study through its examination of services users’ perceptions, and unique incorporation of empowerment theory.
Empowering homeless settings to exhibit features that help service users to gain control over their lives and achieve recovery goals. With rates of homelessness increasing annually, it is paramount that homeless interventions are fostering the independence of service users so that they are in the best position to exit homelessness. The aim of this research is to identify the empowering characteristics of homeless interventions and to examine the role of these characteristics in service users’ capacities to lead meaningful, productive lives. Results will highlight how services can empower service users and therefore increase their potential to successfully exit homelessness.
Awards and Honours:
- Irish Research Council Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship, 2018 - 2021.
- Irish Research Council Oireachtas Shadowing Scheme participant.
- University of Limerick Presidential List for exceptional academic performance and QCA in Autumn and Spring semesters 2012/3.
Teaching assistant at the Department of Psychology for the following undergraduate and postgraduate modules:
- PS6072 Community Psychology
- PS4032 Psychology and Social Issues
- PS4045 Advanced Research Methods
- PS6022 Advanced Empirical Psychology
- PS4043 Empirical Psychology
- PS4041 Practical Psychology
O’Shaughnessy, B. R., & Greenwood, R. M (2020). Empowering Features and Outcomes of Homeless Interventions: A Systematic Review and Narrative Synthesis. American Journal of Community Psychology. Advanced online publication. DOI: 10.1002/ajcp.12422
O’Shaughnessy, B. R., Manning, R. M., Greenwood R. M., Vargas-Moniz, M. J., Loubière, S., Spinnewijn, F., Gaboardi, M., Wolf, J. R., Bokszczanin, A., Bernad, R., Blid, M., Ornelas, J., & the HOME-EU Consortium Study Group. (2020). Home as a Base for a Well-Lived Life: Comparing the Capabilities of Homeless Service Users in Housing First and the Staircase of Transition in Europe. Housing, Theory & Society. Advanced online publication. DOI: 10.1080/14036096.2020.1762725
Manning, R. M., Greenwood R. M., O’Shaughnessy, B. R., Vargas-Moniz, M. J., Loubière, S., Spinnewijn, F., Lenzi, M., Wolf, J. R., Bokszczanin, A., Bernad, R., Kallmen, H., Ornelas, J., and the HOME-EU Consortium Study Group (2019). Homeless Adults’ Recovery Experiences in Housing First and Traditional Services Programs in Seven European Countries. American Journal of Community Psychology. Advanced online publication. DOI: 10.1002/ajcp.12404.
Greenwood R. M., Manning, R. M., O’Shaughnessy, B. R., Cross, O., Vargas-Moniz, M. J., Auquier, P., Santinello, M., Wolf, J. R., Bokszczanin, A., Bernad, R., Källmén, H., Spinnewijn, F., Ornelas, J., HOME_EU Consortium (2020). Comparison of Housing First and Traditional Homeless Service Users in Eight European Countries: Protocol for a Mixed Methods, Multi-Site Study. Journal of Internet Medical Research: Research Protocols, 9(2), e14584. DOI: 10.2196/14584
Loubière, S., Taylor, O., Tinland, A., Vargas-Moniz, M. J., O'Shaughnessy, B. R., Bokszczanin, A., Kallmen, H., Bernad, R., Wolf, J., Santinello, M., Loundoua, A., Ornelas, J., Auquier, P., Home-EU consortium study group (2020). Europeans’ willingness to pay for ending homelessness: A contingent valuation study. Social Science and Medicine, 247, 112802. DOI: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2020.112802
Gaboardi, M., Lenzi, M., Disperati, F., Santinello, M., Vieno, A., Tinland, A., Vargas-Moniz, M. J., Spinnewijn, F., O’Shaughnessy, B. R., Wolf, J. R., Bokszczanin, A., Bernad, R., Beijer, U., Ornelas, J., Shinn, M (2019). Goals and principles of providers working with people experiencing homelessness: a comparison between Housing First and Traditional Staircase services in eight European countries. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16, 1590-1607. DOI: 10.3390/ijerph16091590
- O’Shaughnessy, B. (2019, June). Effective Empowering Homeless Interventions: A Systematic Review and Narrative Synthesis. Poster presentation at the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI) conference, San Diego, California, USA.
- O’Shaughnessy, B. (2019, June). A Capabilities Approach to Homeless Service Provision: Comparing the perspectives of Housing First & Traditional Services users in Europe. Oral presentation at the Conference on Housing First to end homelessness in Europe: Presenting and discussing the results of the Horizon 2020 HOME_EU research project, Rais Fundacion, Madrid, Spain.
- O’Shaughnessy, B. (2018, November). Empowering Interventions for Homeless Adults: Preliminary Results of a Systematic Review. Oral presentation at the Research group on Identites, Communities and Settings, University of Limerick, Ireland.
- O’Shaughnessy, B. (2018, September). Empowering Homeless Services Settings: A Systematic Review. Oral presentation at the 4th (BPS) Community Psychology Festival, University of Hertfordshire, UK.
- O’Shaughnessy, B (2018, September). How to Write a Winning IRC Application. Oral presentation at the IRC Postgraduate Scholarship Information session, Faculty of Education & Health Sciences, University of Limerick, Ireland.
- O’Shaughnessy, B., Greenwood, R., & Manning, R. (2018, June). HOME_EU Work Package 3: Overview of Service Users’ Survey. Oral presentation at the 3rd International Housing First Conference, University of Padua, Italy.
- Greenwood, R., Manning, R., & O’Shaughnessy, B. (2017, November). WP3: Service Users’ Experiences. Oral presentation at the 3rd Home_EU partner’s meeting, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
- O’ Shaughnessy, B., Greenwood, R., & Manning, R. (2011, April). Monitoring the Future of Homelessness in Ireland: Preliminary Results. Poster presented at the 2nd annual Conference for Social Psychology in Ireland, University of Limerick, Ireland.
- Well-being and Identities in Community Settings Lab group, University of Limerick
Course: Structured Ph.D.
Role: PhD Student