- FETAC Level 5 Applied Social Studies, Limerick College of Further Education
- BA in Psychology and Sociology, University of Limerick
- MSc in Psychological Science, University of Limerick
Proposed PhD Title: Predicting Outcomes for Children and Adolescents in Mental Health Services Using The ‘Social Cure’.
Professor Dónal Fortune
Dr. Sharon Houghton
Mandy completed her FETAC Level 5 in Applied Social Studies (2013-2014) at the Limerick College of Further Education. She completed the BA in Psychology and Sociology (2014-2018) and the MSc in Psychological Science (2018-2019) at the University of Limerick. She subsequently began a PhD by research in the Department of Psychology in October 2019.
My research interests are a combination of social and clinical psychology. Mental health is becoming a global social issue, especially in young people. Social support and social identity have shown to be effective protective factors in relation to poor mental health. The idea that social support and social identity could help reduce poor mental health, relapse rates and aid recovery could see improvements to the mental health services and treatments provided.
As such my thesis aims to explore the nature of social support and social identity in relation to children and adolescent mental health and how can mental health services provide effective treatments, in order to promote positive mental health outcomes.
Education and Health Science (EHS) PhD EU Fee Waiver Award 2020
Tutor and teaching assistant on undergraduate modules, Department of Psychology, University of Limerick
- PS4031 Psychology and Everyday Life
- PS4032 Psychology and Social Issues
- PS4041 Practical Psychology I
Tutor and teaching assistant on undergraduate modules, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick
- SO4037 Qualitative Methods for Sociological Research
- SO4078 Inequality and Social Exclusion
- SO4032 Introduction to Sociology 2
Teaching, Transition to University Course, Access Office, University of Limerick
- Communication Skills in College
- Centre for Social Issues Research
- I-Teach Lab
- Psychological Society of Ireland
- American Psychology Association
- Social Care Ireland
- Association of Youth Mental Health
- International Association for Youth Mental Health
Course: Structured Ph.D.
Role: PhD Student