Time of assuming the current leadership role
In June 2017, Professor Ann Ledwith was appointed Dean of Graduate & Professional Studies at the University of Limerick, Ireland.
Previous experience and education
Prior to this appointment, Ann held roles as the Director of Continuing & Professional Education and Assistant Dean of Research (Adult & Continuing Education) with the Faculty of Science & Engineering at UL. She was previously a member of the Kemmy Business School where she led the launch of the university’s first distance learning master’s programme, the MSc in Project Management.
Ann is a graduate of the University of Limerick where she completed a BEng in Electronic Engineering. She subsequently graduated with an MBA from UL in 1995. Ann completed her PhD in 2004 at the University of Brighton, examining the management of New Product Development in the electronics sector in Ireland.
Having worked for 12 years in Research and Development in the electronics sector before returning to UL, Professor Ledwith has always had an interest in work-based students and flexible learning.
At UL, Ann has designed and taught on programmes for both under and post-graduate students on topics such as Project Management, Entrepreneurship, Innovation Management, Technology Management and Reliability.
Ann’s research interests include new product development, project management, R&D management, innovation and technology management in small firms.
Professor Ledwith regularly publishes on these topics in leading journals, including the Journal of Product Innovation Management, Management Decision, International Journal of Project Management and Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development.
Areas of responsibility
- Leadership, governance and management of Graduate and Professional Studies at UL, which includes the following units:
- Postgraduate and Professional Studies Admissions
- Postgraduate Research Office
- Professional Studies
- Graduate and Professional Studies Recruitment
- Accountable for growing Graduate and Professional Studies students at UL
- Staffing and resourcing in the Division
- Risk Management
- Budgetary control
- Chair Postgraduate Research Committee (PGR)
- Vice Chair University of Limerick Research Ethics Group (ULREG)
- Member of Irish University Association (IUA) Deans of Graduate Studies
- Member of the University’s Executive Committee, Academic Council (AC), Academic Programme Review Committee (APRC), Academic Regulations Committee (ARC)
- Develops and implements the University’s vision and strategy.