The US Federal Government requires that the University of Limerick provides the following information to students eligible for US Federal Loans. Please note that at this time some of this content may be restricted to current students.
Loan Consumer Information Disclosures: Private loans
Students may obtain private loans from SallieMae, subject to credit check and lending criteria. Under the ‘Truth in Lending Act’, we are required to disclose consumer information related to these private loans. Details can be found at the Sallie Mae website.
Notice of Federal Student Financial Aid Penalties for Drug Law Violations
SUSPENSION OF ELIGIBILITY FOR DRUG-RELATED OFFENSES
(1) IN GENERAL- A student who has been convicted of any offense under any Federal or State law involving the possession or sale of a controlled substance shall not be eligible to receive any grant, loan, or work assistance under this title during the period beginning on the date of such conviction and ending after the interval specified as follows:
If convicted of an offense involving the possession of a controlled substance ineligibility period is:
•First offense: 1 year,
•Second offense: 2 years,
•Third offense: Indefinite.
The sale of a controlled substance ineligibility period is:
•First offense: 2 years,
•Second offense: Indefinite.
(2) REHABILITATION- A student whose eligibility has been suspended under paragraph (1) may resume eligibility before the end of the ineligibility period determined under such paragraph if--
(A) the student satisfactorily completes a drug rehabilitation program that--
1.complies with such criteria as the Secretary shall prescribe in regulations for purposes of this paragraph; and
2.includes two unannounced drug tests; or
(B) the conviction is reversed, set aside, or otherwise rendered nugatory.
(3) DEFINITIONS- In this subsection, the term `controlled substance' has the meaning given the term in section 102(6) of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802(6)).
• Textbook Information
The school issues lists of recommended reading, there are no required book purchasesThe school issues lists of recommended reading, there are no required book purchases. Textbooks can be purchased at the University Book Shop. To search for a book’s ISBN and price, you can use the bookshop’s online ‘search’ facility: http://www.omahonys.ie/
• Drug and Alcohol abuse prevention
• National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)
We are required to inform the student or parent that the loan will be submitted to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS), and will be accessible by guaranty agencies, lenders, and schools determined to be authorised users of the data system
• Entrance and Exit Counselling for Student Loan Borrowers
Preferred Lending List for Private Loans
The Preferred Lending List for Private Loans is the complete list of all lenders who will lend to American students who are staying outside the USA where there are no costs or liabilities to the school. Currently the list consists only of SallieMae. If any student finds another lender who will lend to American students who are studying outside the USA where there are no costs or liabilities to the school, then the school will be happy to consider adding that lender to the list.
The College has tried to give students an early opportunity to begin their research of student funding. Although every effort has been made to ensure that information provided is both helpful to prospective candidates and accurate at the time of its publication, it is possible that some information may be outdated or superseded before the start of the 2017-18 academic year.