Welcome to the University of Limerick (UL)
Established in 1972, the University of Limerick (UL) is an independent, internationally focused university with over 16,500 students and approximately 1,700 staff. Ranked as one of the top 100 Young Universities of the World according to Times Higher Education, UL is a young, energetic and enterprising university with a proud record of innovation in education and excellence in research and scholarship. As a Comprehensive university, UL offers programmess across a wide range of disciplines, including arts, business, engineering and construction, health and medicine, information and communication technology, law, mathematics and natural sciences.
- University of Limerick achieved 5 stars in the QS Stars Rating System, placing UL globally in the top two per cent of all universities. UL is the only university in Ireland to achieve this in 2021.
- University of Limerick has improved its position in the 2020 UI GreenMetric World University Rankings. UL has climbed to 17th out of over 900 universities worldwide in the rankings, which measure each participating university’s commitment to an environmentally friendly future.
- Top 150 Young Universities in the Times Higher Education World Ranking 2020
- Irish University of the Year 2019 (Sunday Times Good University Guide)
- Highest Employability in Ireland 2020 (Sunday Times Good University Guide )
- Ranked #1 in Ireland for Student-Employer Connections, QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020
Our Study Abroad Programme is an inclusive experience where students are integrated into the general student body, register for the same classes as Irish (and other international) students, take the same assessments, and live in the same on-campus accommodation. Every effort is made to ensure that there is a mix of Irish, US, EU, and non-EU students in each apartment or house.
Applications for this award are now open, so do not miss out on this life-changing opportunity to spend a semester studying in Ireland!
- No, the applications are now open and will be closed on 23 May 2021.
You can choose from these 10 classes:
- Global Citzenship and Intercultural Competence
- Communication Across Cultures
- Practicum - Community Engagement
- Social and Civic Engagement
- Social Media for Social Good
- Introduction to Gaelic (Irish) Games
- Introduction to Sociology
- Introduction to Traditional Irish Music and Dance
- Celtic Civilization
- From Kingdom to Republic: Irish History 1660-1960
- Academic: GPA of 3 or above on your studies to date
- English Language
- IELTS: 6 (No subscore below 5.5)
- TOEFL iBT: 78
- TOEFL ITP: 550
- Duolingo English Test: 100
Why Choose UL?
Why study in Limerick and Ireland?
- Limerick is Ireland’s thirds largest city, with a population of over 100,000. Founded by the Vikings in the 9th century, it is one of Ireland’s oldest cities.
- Sitting on the banks of the picturesque River Shannon, Limerick is a vibrant city boasting a rich culture. Whether you are diving into Limerick’s ancient history or enjoying its selection of bustling pubs, cafes and restaurants, Limerick is sure to win you over.
- When you arrive, be sure to explore the breathtaking landscapes and scenic villages of county Limerick, or take a day-trip along the iconic wild Atlantic way. Limerick’s Mid-Western location makes it a perfect gateway to exploring the rest of Ireland and Europe. Limerick has regular transport services to Cork, Galway and Dublin. Or if you feel like going further afoot, Limerick city is located just 20km from Shannon Airport with regular flights to European cities
- Limerick is a cosmopolitan city with a unique rural charm - making it a popular choice for both Irish and international students.
- If you like to know more about Limerick, you can find lots more information here
Ireland is a friendly, safe country. But don’t just take our word for it.
- In 2010, Lonely Planet named Ireland the most friendly country in the world.
- The Global Peace Index rates 158 nations worldwide on measures such as conflict, safety and security in society and militarisation. In 2014, it ranked Ireland the 13th most peaceful place on Earth.
- English is the universal spoken language and is one of the reasons why so many multinational businesses locate their European base here.
- It also makes Ireland a great choice for international students. English is now the global language of business.
- Ireland's longstanding reputation for high-quality education is built on a solid foundation of commitment to excellence. Today, we have one of the best education systems in the world and an internationally renowned reputation for academic quality.
- 34 higher education institutions in Ireland offer an extensive range of over 5,000 programmes leading to internationally recognised, quality assured qualifications. International students can choose to meet their educational needs in highly respected business schools, centres of scientific and technology excellence as well as renowned language, humanities and arts faculties.
- Everywhere you go in Ireland, you will find a genuine and deep-seated love of learning!
Innovative and Creative Culture
- We’re an ingenious lot who punch well above our weight internationally when it comes to creativity in art, literature and music and ingenuity in science, technology, business, music, and writing.
Applications for the IISMA close on 21 May 2021.
Submit your application to Study Abroad at UL!Apply Now