Skip to main content

Health and Travel Insurance

All students are advised to take out comprehensive health and travel insurance. Students should note that participation in the study placement abroad does involve certain inherent risks which the exchange student must assume. The risks associated with study abroad include, but are not limited to, responsibility for damage to or loss of property, personal illness or injury and death while the exchange student is a participant in the programme. Although the University takes all necessary steps to mitigate these risks and to provide assistance in time of need, the student must take responsibility for ensuring personal safety and security during the study placement. The student must also assume responsibility for taking out adequate personal travel and health insurance, the options for which are detailed below.


Students are required to obtain a European Health Insurance Card. The application form may be submitted online on This card entitles the bearer to free accident and emergency treatment in EU countries. The card does NOT cover all medical expenses and is not a substitute for travel insurance.

In Germany, students are required to bring the European Health Insurance Card to the AOK (local health service).
In France, the European Health Insurance Card entitles the bearer to a partial refund of medical costs. French Universities require that ERASMUS students take out civil liability insurance.
In Finland, all university towns have health centres; a valid student card entitles you to free treatment with a small fee for consultations (for details:
In Denmark, when you register with the ‘Folkeregister’ (civil registry office) you must fill in a form and choose a medical practitioner and a medical card (‘sygesikringsbevis’) will be sent out to you within two weeks (the European Health Insurance Card is also required).

Students are strongly advised to take out additional private medical insurance to cover the period of study abroad. If you have a medical insurance policy (VHI, Laya, Aviva, etc.) in Ireland, contact the insurer to ensure that you will be covered while abroad and bring a copy of your policy or policy number. In some countries you are obliged to take out additional student insurance and some universities (e.g. Pau) require that you join their scheme. Read the University requirements on insurance, in case the student must join the University scheme. Please be aware that in recent years, accidents involving injuries such as broken limbs have occurred to students who were under-insured while abroad. This incurs serious problems for the student, their family, UL and the host University. So please be attentive to this matter.

The following websites may be useful:
Laya healthcare:

As a registered student of the University of Limerick you will also be covered by the University of Limerick Student Life Personal Accident Policy which covers basic medical expenses resulting from accidental injury, certain permanent disabilities such as loss of a limb or loss of an eye, and accidental death. This policy extends to most sporting activities except hang-gliding. Full details of this insurance cover are available from the Students’ Union. Please note that this insurance does not cover medical insurance for illness.

In addition to private health insurance, students are also strongly advised to take out travel insurance to be transported home in the case of an illness. Please be aware that multi-trip insurance policies from most insurance providers do not cover an extended period abroad.

Students may take out travel insurance from any provider of their choice. Many institutions offer travel insurance, including insurance companies (Allianz, AXA, etc.), banks (Bank of Ireland, AIB, etc.), credit unions, etc.

Please find below examples of Erasmus insurance providers:

Oaktree Financial Services

Tel:  1890 876 077


web: /


Study & Protect (previously O’Driscoll O’Neill)

Tel: +353 (0)1 6395800




ATTN: Insurance policy must be taken out prior to travelling abroad. Cover cannot be provided once students have left Ireland.