Download the Transport for Ireland app
We recommend that you download the Irish National Journey Planner App. The Journey Planner from Transport for Ireland lets you see all of the public transport options and helps you plan your journey times more accurately.
The Planner covers bus, rail, tram, taxis and ferries – 120 operators in total including both public and private operators. The planner provides fully mapped-out route information, printable timetables and details of overall journey times.
Get a Student Leap Card
Student Leap Card is Ireland's national student travel and discount card available to all second-and third-level students in full time education. It is the only student card that can save students up to 66% across all public transport operators, as well as a host of exclusive discounts and offers from leading brands.
Find more information on how to get your Student Leap Card here!
Shannon Airport is located 24km from Limerick City and is well-serviced by Bus and Taxi Services.
Airport Collection Service
At the beginning of each term we provide a complimentary shuttle service from Shannon airport to the University of Limerick. The service will be available on specific days depending on your programme of study at UL. We will send information on how to avail of this service via email.
- Bus Eireann runs an hourly service from Shannon Airport to Limerick City. For a detailed timetable please click here.
- The bus stop is located directly outside the terminal. Fares cost approximately €8.00 and the journey takes 40-50 minutes. Stay on the bus until it reaches the main Limerick City bus station located at Colbert Station, Parnell Street, Limerick. There are taxis available at the station. A trip from the station to the University campus will cost approximately €10.00. A regular bus service runs between the city centre and the University campus.
- JJ Kavanagh & Sons provides a service between Shannon Airport and 3 stops in Limerick: Arthurs Quay in the City Centre, outside the main gate of the university (Flagpoles of UL) or inside the university campus (main campus bus stop). For a detailed timetable please click here
There are taxis available from the airport to the campus. The average cost is approximately €35.00 - €45.00.
Dublin Airport is located 192km from Limerick City and is well-serviced by public and private transport services.
There are several bus services which travel from Dublin Airport to UL. Bus departures can be found outside Terminal 1.
- Dublin Coach M7 Express Service For a detailed timetable, please click here
- JJ Kavanagh & Sons For a detailed timetable, please click here
- Bus Eireann For a detailed timetable, please click here
- Eireagle For a detailed timetable, please click here
Arriving Late to Dublin Airport
If your flight arrives into Dublin Airport late at night, we recommend that you stay at one of the airport hotels before travelling to Limerick the following day. There are a number of hotels located close to the airport including; Carlton Dublin Airport Hotel, Clarion Hotel, Dublin Airport and Radisson Blu Hotel, Dublin Airport
The information contained in the University of Limerick Web pages is, to the best of our knowledge, true and accurate at the time of publication and is solely for informational purposes. Changing circumstances may cause the University to change its provisions at any time. The University of Limerick accepts no liability for any loss or damage howsoever arising as a result of use or reliance on these Web pages or on the information thereon or in respect of information accessed via any links from the Web pages