Skip to main content


Home | Erasmus+ | Outgoing Students | Accommodation

It is the responsibility of the student to organise accommodation, in consultation with the accommodation services at the host University. Students should be aware that partner universities cannot guarantee accommodation to all ERASMUS students and private universities or schools are usually not in a position to offer student accommodation.

Below are some points to consider when looking for accommodation:

  • What types of accommodation options are available?
  • What is the cost of each option?
  • What is the procedure to book accommodation (form? online application?)
  • What is the deadline to submit the application?
  • What deposit is required and when must it be paid?
  • Is bed linen supplied?
  • Are utility bills included in the rent?
  • From what date will the room be available?
  • Is there a system to obtain access to the room if tenant arrives late at night or at weekend?
  • What is the procedure for repayment of deposit?


If available, students are strongly advised to apply for University residential accommodation, as it can be difficult to find accommodation in the private sector for a period of one semester.

All host institutions should have an accommodation office, which either accepts university residential applications or provides support to students to find accommodation in the private sector.

University accommodation is usually allocated on a first-come, first-served basis, so it is advisable to apply as soon as the application process opens.

To apply for accommodation, there usually is a box to tick on the host university’s application form, or there is a separate accommodation form to be submitted with the host university’s application.

Students are advised to apply for University accommodation initially.

Students are advised to apply for and accept university residential accommodation if it is available, especially those who are studying at universities in large European cities.

Special requests concerning accommodation (e.g. being placed in a single room, being located close to a friend, etc.) should be communicated to the host university. Students should also inform the host university of a medical condition. While the host university will do their best to accommodate special requests, students should be aware that host universities have limited control over room allocation as university residential accommodation in Europe is often administered by national agencies such as CROUS in France, Studentenwerk in Germany, DUWO in the Netherlands, OeAd in Austria, etc.

Students should be aware that the standard of accommodation often falls below that in Ireland. In countries such as France, Italy, Spain and Germany it is normal for students to share facilities such as kitchens and bathrooms. Students should also be aware that student university residential accommodation is not necessarily within a walking distance of the university buildings. Public transport may be required to get to college (bus, tramway, train).

It is standard procedure for university residences to request a deposit in order to secure the room booking. Students should ensure that they understand what is required re payment of rent, bills, deposits, etc.  For instance, in university residential accommodation, students are expected to pay rent from the first to the last day of every month, even if the room is unoccupied for part of the month.

ATTN: Students should arrive at their accommodation when advised. University offices and accommodation offices are normally closed during the weekend and on public/bank holidays so it is best to arrive during office hours on a weekday, a few days before the beginning of the semester. Students should notify the host university of their arrival date and of any changes.
Students travelling late at night or at the weekend should make prior arrangements with the accommodation office. If this is not possible, students should plan to book into a youth hostel overnight.
When moving in, any issues or problems should be reported immediately to the office responsible. Bed linen is usually not supplied. Kitchens can be poorly equipped and may not be supplied with an oven, kettle, toaster, etc.

The normal procedure, where university residential accommodation is not available, is to obtain a list of property owners from the International office of the host university or to follow-up on advertisements placed at the university by students wishing to share accommodation or by property owners wishing to let accommodation. Please note that many property owners prefer to rent out the property for the full academic year. It is best to arrange accommodation prior to the mobility period - some students assume that it will be easier to find somewhere to live after arrival in their new city; this is a risky strategy and can leave students stuck in hostels for weeks.

Students are advised to use caution and common sense when reserving private accommodation and signing contracts.

Deposits are a serious matter in most countries and any damage to the room will be deducted from the deposit refund.  Most countries require students to sign a lease which usually expires at the end of a month.  This means that, if the premises are vacated before the agreed term, students are still liable for the rent for the remaining period.

The University of Limerick is a partner of HousingAnywhere, the international student-to-student housing platform. Students can use this platform to rent accommodation abroad or let out accommodation in their home University city. This international housing platform can be found at

HousingAnywhere has over 125 partner universities worldwide, with accommodation in over 500 cities in the world. UL students undertaking an Erasmus or exchange programme can find and book a student room on Access to the platform is completely free. An administrative fee will be charged when making a booking as part of HousingAnywhere’s secure booking system. 

UL students can also rent out their room to an incoming exchange student, hence avoiding paying double rent while abroad and ensuring that the room is available upon their return. HousingAnywhere is free of charge when registering using the UL e-mail address. Before advertising a room via the platform, students must seek permission from their landlord.