Skip to main content

Requirements for new international staff

When you visit Ireland there are some general rules which apply regardless of the reason why you are coming to Ireland.  Please visit the following link for more information - Moving To Ireland

Work Authorisation

If you are a non-EU/EEA national you will need a work permit or hosting agreement to work in Ireland.  Please note: Employees cannot commence employment with the University until a Work Permit or Hosting Agreement has been approved and issued. A hosting agreement, work permit or green card is applied for by the University of Limerick (Human Resources Division). Failure to secure a work permit will render any otherwise successful applicant unappointable by law.  We will be able to advise on eligibility for the most appropriate type of work authorisation. An email will be sent to you outlining the information you need to gather for the application. The work authorisation application form is then processed and you will be updated of progress.

Visa Application

What is a visa and who needs one?

It is important that you familiarise yourself with requirements as they apply to you. It is your responsibility to apply for a visa. All visa applications are dealt with between the individual and their local Irish embassy or consulate.  No employer, including the University of Limerick, is permitted to become involved in this process. For further information please visit

Garda National Immigration Bureau 

Non EU employees are required to register with the local Garda National Immigration Bureau on arrival in Ireland. The Immigration office will issue you with an immigration card. Each family member over 16 years of age and named on a hosting agreement must register in person with the GNIB.  The GNIB is located at the following address:

Immigration Office
Henry Street Garda Station

The following documentation is required when registering with the GNIB:

  1. Contract of Employment
  2. Work Authorisation
  3. Valid Passport

  More information on this is available from the Department of Justice website on

Your new employer must deduct tax from your pay under the PAYE (Pay As You Earn)  system. To make sure that your tax is properly dealt with from the start and to avoid paying emergency tax you should do two things:

  1. Give your employer your PPS No. (Personal Public Services Number)
  2. Apply for a certificate of tax credits

Getting a PPS number should be one of the first things you do on moving to Ireland.

A Personal Public Service (PPS) Number is needed in all dealings with Public Service Agencies.  This is required for the University of Limerick to make payments to you. 

To obtain this, complete the following steps:

  1. Make an appointment online at
  2. Attend your appointment at the Intreo Centre Limerick, Dominick Street, Limerick – Tel: (061) 212200
  3. You will need to fill out an application form, provide evidence of your identity (current passport) and evidence of why you need a PPS number. You must also provide proof of your address - If you are unable to provide this, contact HR.

It will take approximately 4-5 days for notification of your PPS number to arrive after your appointment.

Once you obtain a PPS number you can then apply for Tax Credits.

From the bus station - cross Parnell Street at the traffic lights and continue straight down Davis Street in front of you. Turn right at the end of Davis Street behind the clock tower onto Baker Place, this quickly leads to Dominic Street. At the end of Dominic Street on your right you will find the Department of Social Protection Intreo Centre.

From the city center - pass Brown Thomas on your left, continue up O’Connell Street until you come to Fines Jewellers. Take a left onto Cecil Street and ahead of you at the top of the road you will see the Intreo Centre.

Additional to your PPS number, you will have to apply for a Tax Credit Certificate. This will reduce the amount of taxes that are deducted from your gross income, apply as soon as possible to avoid higher emergency tax.This must be applied for online. To do this you need to register for myAccount on Please find more information on the Revenue website.

UL’s Registered Employer Number is 0032116A

In order to get paid, you will need to open a bank account.

To open an account the Bank require proof of identification, such as a full Driver's Licence or a Passport, and a current proof of permanent address. This can include:

• A recent utility bill (Gas, electricity, phone, cable), less than three months old. (A Bank Letter is also available from Compensation & Benefits, HR, UL for new employees in lieu of a utility bill.)

• A statement from another financial institution

• Insurance documents

To open an account prior to arrival, contact your own bank, which may be able to facilitate this. It may take up to two weeks for international money transfers so allow for delays when deciding how much currency to bring with you to meet expenses on arrival.

For more information and a list of valid documentation for opening bank accounts - visit

There is a Bank of Ireland branch on the University Campus. located in the Student Courtyard.