Dates: Wednesday, October 9, 2019
Time: 09:15 - 16:30
Presenter: Mary Ann McGowan
Duration: Full day
The aims of the program are summarised as follows:
- Understanding University Procedures for Ph.D. Supervision
- What makes an effective Ph.D. supervisory relationship?
- Co-creating the relationship and creating mutual expectations
- Effective communication
- The role of power in the relationship
- Resolving problems effectively.
Understanding University Procedures and Regulations 09.00-09.45
An overview of the key University procedures for PhD supervision.
Effective PhD Supervision – What Does This Involve? 09.45-10.30
What are the important elements of effective Ph.D. supervision?
What does the supervisor need to do?
What can go wrong?
Co-creating the Relationship 10.45-12.45 and 13.30-15.30
- The power of expectations / self-fulfilling prophecy
- Contracting using the 4Ps
Transactional Analysis and Communication
- Communicating from Parent, Adult and Child
- Tips to stay in Adult and to invite other person into Adult
- Staying in a healthy OK position
The Role of Power
- What is the role of power in the relationship?
- In what way can power impact ‘healthy adult’ interaction
- Perceptual Positions – looking at an issue from different perspectives
- Balancing support and challenge
- When is feedback useful and Productive? Unuseful and Unproductive?
- Our assumptions and perceptions
- Opening from the 3rd Story
- Exploring their story
- Powerful listening
- The art of questioning
- Telling your story with clarity
- Moving to resolution/agreement
Student Complaints Procedure 16.00-16.30
Mary Ann has worked in Leadership and Organisational Development for over 15 years. She is a sought after speaker and executive coach. She is passionate about helping leaders and their teams build powerful cultures where individuals, teams and organizations can thrive.
To find out more go to www.maryannmcgowan.com
To book a place, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.