Thank you. Your request has been submitted.
We will be in contact as soon as possible.
The University of Limerick welcomes applications from international students.
Research Programmes - All applicants - EU & Non EU should first try to identify a potential supervisor and a project. Completed research application forms should be sent to the Postgraduate Admissions Office. The full application process for research degrees is outlined here
Applicants who do not have English as their first language must include the following additional documents with their application form:
English translation of your qualification(s)/transcripts
English language competency certificate
English Language Requirements
Applicants from non-English speaking countries are required to have a high level of competence in English.
Requirements for taught postgraduate programmes
Any one of the qualifications listed below is acceptable as minimum English language requirements for entry to taught postgraduate programmes at the University of Limerick.
Requirements for research programmes
Applicants to research programmes are also advised to meet the minimum requirements listed below.
- TOEFL - a minimum score of 580 (paper based) or 90 (internet based) in the TOEFL test
- IELTS - The British Council/University of Cambridge Local Syndicate's test of Academic English, International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a composite score in the range of 6.5 and not less than 6 in any one component, for entry to degree programmes in the Faculty of Science & Engineering and a composite score in the range of 6.5-7 and not less than 6 in any one component, for entry to programmes in the Faculties of Business, Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences and Education & Health Sciences.
- Leaving Certificate English at Grade D Ordinary Level or above
- University of Dublin (Trinity College) English Composition (not English Literature) at Pass Level or above
- GCE O Level English Language at Grade C or above
- GCSE English language at Grade C or above
- CSE Grade 1 Pass in English
- Hong Kong Certificate of Education, English Language Syllabus B, Grade C or better
- The following standard in English Language examinations set by certain GCE Examination Boards - any one of
|Associated Examining Board (AEB)||C or above|
|Oxford Delegacy of Local Examinations (Oxford)||Science & Engineering|
|Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate Syndicate (Cambridge)||School Certificate Pass in the range 1-6|
|University of London University Entrance and School Examinations Council (London)||School Certificate Pass in the range 1-6|
- Pass in the Use of English examinations administered by bodies as listed under GCE Examination Board
- A pass in the Oxford Examining Body's English as a Foreign Language (Higher Paper)
- A pass in English in the Joint Matriculation Board (JMB) Test in English (Overseas) examination
- Matriculation examinations from European countries where English is presented as a subject and an acceptable level is achieved
- One of the following other University of Cambridge ESOL exams:
- a grade C or higher on a Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
- grade A on a Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)