Available: Part- Time
Duration: 1 Year
Award: Specialist Diploma
Qualification: NFQ Level 9 Minor Award
Faculty: Science and Engineering
Course Type: Taught Professional/Flexible
Fees: For Information on Fees, see section below.
This Lean Black Belt course aims to develop participants' process improvement skills. The diploma will provide education and practical application to a Black Belt level in Lean. The course will enable participating companies gain competitive advantage through the application of Lean principles to drive improvement with measurable results. A company-based project will form a key element of the programme, ensuring the integration of the various concepts in the participants’ workplace. It will provide participants with a practical application of Lean tools and techniques within their own organisation.
This project will need to result in significant improvements for participating company.
This course is eligible for Springboard funding, for more information Click Here.
This programme forms part of the MSc in Strategic Quality Management Lean Sigma Systems. Those who have completed this programme may continue on to the MSc.
- The Diploma is aimed at managers, engineers, supervisors and technicians who have responsibility for quality or continuous improvement within their organisations and also those who wish to develop knowledge and skills in the area of Lean systems.
- Are responsible for or actively engaged in organisational improvement and development through the use of quality management. tools and techniques.
- Seek recognition as a Black Belt in Lean.
How It Works
- This flexible programme lets students take three taught modules over two semesters. In addition to the taught modules, there will be a strong focus on the integration of the concepts tools and techniques in the participant’s organisation during the course of the programme.
- Course delivery combines traditional distance education with online learning and approximately three on-campus days per semester.
- Talks by industry/professional experts who will deliver a seminar linking theory to practice.
Completion of this programme requires a substantial industry-based project, to be reported in the form of a management report. Projects require the application of the concepts covered throughout the programme and carry an expectation of helping participant organisations realise verified savings benefit of approximately €75,000.
|Autumn Semester||Spring Semester|
|Specialist Diploma in Lean Systems|
|Specialist Diploma in Six Sigma|
|Enterprise Improvement Project|
Relevant primary degree (Level 8) or recognised professional qualification and 1-3 years relevant industrial experience.
In the situation where an applicant does not meet the minimum entry requirements above, an offer of a place on the course may be made in exceptional circumstances. The candidate will be required to provide a portfolio of evidence of prior qualifications in quality management together with the application of learning or competence (e.g green/black belt project reports, reflective papers or journals). Two references from appropriate signatories in the candidate’s organisation will be accepted as evidence. Candidates may be required to attend an interview prior to enrolling on the programme.
What to Include with your Application
Delays in receiving these documents will affect the progress of your application.
- Photo or Scanned original copy of your transcripts for all years of study. (Graduates of UL need only provide us with their Student ID number.)
- Photo or Scanned copy of passport to verify ID and full legal name.
- Digital quality head and shoulders photograph.
- A copy of your most recent CV, (for Springboard applicants, please note that by providing this document you are agreeing that we may send it to members of industry if you require assistance when searching for an Industry Learning Placement (ILE) or project work). Applies to some courses only.
- Proof of status depending on what you filled on the website (Springboard+ only) Click Here.
- Applicants who do not have English as their first language may satisfy English Language requirements:
• If your qualifications have been obtained in a country where English is an official language this will suffice
If this is not available, the following additional documents must be provided:
• English translation of your qualification(s)/transcripts
• English language competency certificate
For more information Click Here
The current fees for this programme are €5250 and are payable in instalments.
The programme is fully funded for jobseekers and returners. 90% funding is available to full time workers under the Springboard+ 2019 criteria. See springboardcourses.ie website for eligibility details.