Course Code: GDMSDTTFAD
Available: Full- Time
Duration: 1 Year
Award: Graduate Diploma
Qualification: NFQ Level 9 Major Award
Faculty: Science and Engineering
Course Type: Taught Professional/Flexible
Fees: For Information on Fees, see section below.
Application Deadline: Sunday, August 1, 2021
The Graduate Diploma in Multilingual Software Development and Translation Technology is a fulltime conversion programme for non-ICT graduates wishing to enter the IT sector. It is in particular aimed at language graduates as it will ideally complement their existing skillset but open also to those with an interest in this specialisation without a language background.
The course will provide participants with fundamental theoretical and practical skills, abilities and knowledge to gain a comprehensive intermediate understanding of software development, language technology and designing software for international markets.
Technological advances are changing how we live, learn and work. If Ireland is to maintain its success as a global technology hub then it must ensure that it provide sufficient and appropriate education and training pathways for citizens to learn and upskill in a variety of high-level ICT skills.
By introducing this new course offering, Graduate Diploma in Multilingual Software Development and Translation Technology, UL will increase the provision of high-level ICT skills, by providing new pathways to skills development that involves in-work training as well as innovative models of learning. The combination of theoretical and practical content will future proof graduates with industry relevant skills for emerging technologies.
- CS4004 SOFTWARE TESTING AND INSPECTION: : software testing and inspection, test specifications and managing errors;
- CS4141 INTRODUCTION TO PROGRAMMING: Introduction to programming using an industry-standard programming language;
- CS4416 DATABASE SYSTEMS: Foundations of the structure and application of relational databases and database management systems
- CS6381 BEST PRACTICE SOFTWARE INTERNATIONALISATION: Skills and insights to reason about and internationalise systems from a technical and cultural perspective
- CS6361 LANGUAGE ENGINEERING AND TRANSLATION TECHNO: fundamental principles of natural language processing and major types of translation technology.
- CS4056 MOBILE APPLICATION DESIGN: Skills and techniques for development of applications for mobile device
- CS4457 PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND PRACTICE: Examine the processes in the development, implementation and management of information systems
- CS6402 INTERMEDIATE PROGRAMMING: Real-world application of more advanced algorithms, data structures, and programming constructs
- CS6113 TRANSLATION TECHNOLOGY SYSTEMS: Integration of different translation technology in complex processes.
- CS4082 INTRODUCTION TO WEB DEVELOPMENT: The concepts and techniques underlying the World Wide Web, working knowledge of how to structure
A level 8 qualification in a non-computing discipline is the key requirement. Preference will be given to candidates with a second-class honours degree or higher. Applicants may be required to undertake an interview and satisfy the course admission team that they have the ability to complete and benefit from this course. Shortlisting of applicants may take place. The recognition of prior learning and prior experiential learning as per university policy will be applied to this course.
Required Documents for UL application:
Delays in receiving these documents will affect the progress of your application.
- Photo or Scanned original copy of your transcripts for all years of study. (Graduates of UL need only provide us with their Student ID number.)
- Photo or Scanned copy of passport to verify ID and full legal name.
- A copy of your most recent CV, please note that by providing this document you are agreeing that we may send it to members of industry if you require assistance when searching for an Industry Learning Placement (ILE) or project work (applies to some courses only).
- Proof of Status, e.g. unemployed, employed, self employed, returners. Acceptable documents for proof of status can be found here https://springboardcourses.ie/eligibility
- Applicants who do not have English as their first language may satisfy English Language
• If your qualifications have been obtained in a country where English is an official language this will suffice
If this is not available, the following additional documents must be provided:
• English translation of your qualification(s)/transcripts
• English language competency certificate
For more information Click Here
The fee for this programme is €7500
Candidates who satisfy the eligibility criteria under Springboard+ can qualify for 90% or 100% funding subject to the availability of places.
Employed and Recent Graduates
All employed and recent graduates from 2020 or 2021 with a minimum level 8 in relevant area must pay a 10% contribution of the course cost directly to the provider for all level 7-9 courses.
Please note some formerly self-employed applicants not in receipt on DEASP payment are liable for 10% fees also.
Unemployed and Returner participants
Springboard+ will pay all fees for unemployed and returner participants
To clarify eligibility please go to https://springboardcourses.ie/eligibility
Please note that Fees are subject to review
For information on funding and scholarships please click here.
On successful completion of this programme, graduates will have the skills, knowledge and abilities to:
- Develop stand-alone applications (primarily in Java), - develop web-based application, - Develop mobile applications (primarily using Android Studio) to the level one would expect after a programme of this duration.
- Design databases, use SQL to query tables and write stored procedures - create/design and execute test cases,
- Design systems for international markets
- Apply fundamental principles of natural language processing and utilize translation technology
- Interoperability and integration of translation technology in complex processes.