Fiona is Professor of Clinical Nursing in the Department of Nursing and Midwifery University of Limerick and the University of Limerick Hospital Group.
Fiona trained as a nurse, health visitor and district nurse at Manchester University in the UK. She has held positions as a staff nurse and Sister predominantly in surgical nursing before training as a clinical teacher in surgical nursing and obtaining further teaching qualifications.
She holds a Masters in Nursing and a PhD focusing on nursing and women’s health with a special interest in early pregnancy loss.
Fiona has had extensive experience supervising nurses and other healthcare professionals at Masters and PhD level. To date, she has supervised three PhD students to successful completion. She has expertise in qualitative research approaches and systematic reviews.
Future research plans include a Cochrane systematic review in pregnancy and childbirth and developing a research programme around the care of the older person in acute and emergency settings. Part of her role is working with practising nurses to develop their research capacity and capabilities.
Type of student I am looking for:
- Nurse/midwife or other Health Sciences post-graduate.
- Desire to conduct clinical research which has a strong and clear nursing practice focus.
- Motivated, can use their initiative and have the ability to accept direction.
- Ability to develop sophisticated skills in research synthesis.
- Good written and oral communication skills.