Intro to Higher Education Workshops
These interactive workshops are aimed at new tutors and focus on some key areas related to teaching in Higher Education. They will provide a set of ideas and methods to help prepare you for your new role in relation to developing your approach to teaching and learning, the components of class planning, engaging students and importance of assessment and feedback.
Is a seminar series which runs across the three partner institutions which provides a forum for faculty to share experiences, ideas, useful practices and tools relating teaching and learning. These sessions are open to all faculty across the Shannon Consortium and are semi-formal in format allowing for lots of discussion and conversation.
National Forum Seminars
The aim of the National Seminar Series is to provide all working in higher education with opportunities to connect with colleagues and to focus on shared interests in both the research and practice of teaching and learning enhancement. The series also creates opportunities to hear from national and international experts in different areas of teaching and learning. The seminars are funded through a competitive application process to ensure that they meet the needs of higher education, are of interest to the host and other institutions and that they encourage debate on the themes.
A series of CPD opportunities are offered by the CTL as frequently advertised, but can be also requested on demand by specific groups or departments. These include:
- Bespoke workshops (Introduction to Blended learning, Plagiarism prevention and feedback provision with Turnitin, and Pedagogical design in Sulis)
- ‘Getting started with online teaching’ online course (digital badge awarded by the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning)
- TL5121 (3 credits): Moderation in Online Environments– CPE/Graduate Studies short courses
- Oxford University press/Epigeum Blended Learning CPD online course. See www.ul.ie/pdo
- One to one consultations and TEL observations
UL’s annual Teaching Expo is an event that showcases some of the innovative teaching and learning practices across the institution. It also provides a platform for formative discussions and professional development for all staff involved in pedagogic practice and support.