What is it?
The University of Sanctuary Bursary provides financial support through bursaries to first-time higher education applicants who identify as a refugee, asylum seeker or a person in a refugee-like situation as defined by the UNHCR 1951 Refugee Convention.
Successful applicants will be eligible for:
- Tuition Fee Waiver - Successful students will be offered a fee-remitted (i.e. no fees) place at the University
- Subsistence Payments - In addition, depending on individual circumstances, financial support may be provided for successful applicants that do not have other means of subsistence.
Who should apply?
- Individuals who have applied through the CAO to any full-time undergraduate programme in UL as a Leaving Certificate, QQI or Mature Student applicant.
- Asylum Seekers who have applied for the Mature Student Access Certificate in UL.
Eligibility criteria and the selection process
Before making an application for a Bursary please ensure that you meet our eligibility criteria as follows, and be able to prove that:
- You are an international protection applicant, or a person granted international protection i.e. an asylum seeker, refugee, or person who has been granted Discretionary Leave to Remain (DLR) or some other form of temporary status
- You have applied through the CAO for a place on a full-time undergraduate course in UL as a Leaving Certificate, QQI or Mature Student applicant or have applied for the Mature Student Access Certificate in UL.
- You are not currently eligible for ‘free fees’ for a full-time undergraduate course or for a SUSI fee grant
- You are not currently eligible for mainstream support funding e.g. SUSI maintenance grant or Department of Social Protection and Family Affairs (DEASP) payments (other than a direct provision payment)
Applicants must meet these strict eligibility criteria and be in a position to verify their circumstances in order to apply. Applicants who do not meet the criteria will not be considered for the bursary. Incomplete applications and/or applications without the required supporting documentation will not be considered.
If you have any questions about whether or not you should apply for a bursary, please contact: ULSanctuary@ul.ie
Information regarding the 2020/21 academic year will be released in late Spring