Skip to main content
10 Tips for your job search
- Familiarise yourself with online recruitment and selection processes.
- Stay informed – watch the news, social media and career websites that are relevant to you.
- Keep yourself updated: research the jobs and companies that you are interested in using company and career websites, LinkedIn and professional organizations (are you a student member?)
- Making an application is time consuming. Know what skills you have to offer. Think about the employer you are applying to – what are they looking for?
- Make sure your CV and LinkedIn profile are up to date; get feedback on them. You can find more info here on creating a CV. You can also use our free online CV checker, CareerSet, to get instant feedback on your CV
- Be interview ready. You can also do a practice video interview on our video interview platform. Shortlist.Me is used by graduate recruiters and will give you a realistic idea of what a video interview is like. More info here on interview preparation.
- Make the most of your time – keep developing your skills: consider further study, consider short contracts and use your network to keep abreast of what’s happening in your area.
- Don’t give up if you don’t find something quickly – hardly anyone walks into their dream job straight after graduation.
- Get help and advice when you need it – Use the Careers Service, your peers, previous classmates, alumni, previous employers, course directors.
- Contact us through CareersConnect to arrange a chat about making a career plan: https://careersconnect.ul.ie/home.html