Dr. Yvonne Costin is a Lecturer in Entrepreneurship at the University of Limerick. In her role, Yvonne teaches entrepreneurship, enterprise formation and development, and small business consulting. Dr. Yvonne Costin works with undergraduate, postgraduate and executive students encouraging them to explore their own entrepreneurial potential, aligning closely with her strong research interest in entrepreneurship education, and various pedagogical approaches to teaching entrepreneurship across various disciplines. Before joining the faculty at the University of Limerick Yvonne worked as a project manager at The Marketing Centre for Small Business, working closely with SME's, local government support agencies and educational institutions.Her continuing close links with industry support her research interests which focuses on small firm growth in female-owned firms. A second stream of her research interest explores entrepreneurship education and third age entrepreneurship. Yvonne holds a PhD from the University of Limerick and has published in such journals as International Journal of Gender and Entrepreneurship, Industry & Higher Education, and Education and Training.
- Female Entrepreneurship (all issues relating to female entrepreneurship e.g. profiling female entrepreneurs and their firms, investigation of the similarities/differences between male vs female owned firms)
- Investigation of the internal and external factors influencing small firm growth
- The provision and impact of entrepreneurial education at the primary, secondary and tertiary level.
- Third Age Entrepreneurship
- Masters in International Entrepreneurship Management (2015-2018)
- MSc. Software Engineering and Entrepreneurship (2015- 2018)
- Bachelor of Business Studies (Minor Option Leader) (2011-2015)
- Moderator for the Institute of Equine Science (2011-2013)
As programme director for the Masters in International Entrepreneurship Management, I am responsible for the design, implementation and evaluation of assessment material and for subjects on MSc. in Software Engineering and Entrepreneurship. As minor option leader for the Entrepreneurship minor on the Bachelor of Business Studies programme, I am actively involved in the design and improvement of undergraduate programmes on a continuous basis. In my role as moderator for the Institute of Equine Science, I was responsible for overseeing module content and assessment methods adopted by the Institute for modules delivered in the area of Entrepreneurship. Teaching My teaching spans the broad area of Entrepreneurship to a wide variety of undergraduate, postgraduate, post experience and distance students, and across interdisciplinary programmes. Furthermore, I have gained international teaching experience at the Helsinki School of Economics.My lecturing experience has been gained through the following modules: Undergraduate Enterprise,Creativity and Innovation EnterpriseFormation (Business students) EnterpriseFormation (Non-business students) EnterpriseDevelopment (Business students) EnterpriseDevelopment (Non-business students)Small BusinessConsulting Entrepreneurshipand the Global EconomyPostgraduateMarketingEnterprise & PlanningEstablishing NewVentures Research Methods EntrepreneurialMarketing New VentureCreationInternationalBusiness Consulting Through the delivery of these programmes, I collaborate with colleagues in the Institute of Equine Science, Faculty of Science and Engineering and the Irish Academy of World Music and Dance in the design of relevant entrepreneurship programmes for inclusion in their programmes.
- 2012 - Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2012
- ISBE Member, Institute of Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- INTRE Member, Irelands Network of Teachers and Researchers of Entrepreneurship
- Local Small and Medium Sized Businesses -
- Government Agencies - Enterprise Ireland
Limerick County Council
Local Enterprise Office, Limerick
- Community Development Agencies - St. Gabriels Centre
St. Munchins Community Centre
Adare Community Development
Kildimo Community Development
- Educational Institutions - Mary Immaculate College
The Downtown Centre
American Council on Exercise
- Co-ordinator and implementer of this programme in the Masters in International Entrepreneurship Management Programme. This programme is in place since 2016, students receive mentoring from Citibank experts on business development and have opportunities to visit Citibank and engage with their accelerator programmes, and entrepreneurs Citibank have supported.
- Irish Exporters Association and the Kemmy Business School entered into a partnership to assist small firms internationalise their businesses. Under the umbrella of the Irish Exporter's Association Asia Trade Forum (ATF), students on the Masters in International Entrepreneurship Management assist a small firm by completing international market research and developing market entry strategies for Asian markets. Students participating on the programme have the opportunity to work with professional mentors who will share their knowledge of doing business in Asia.
- Acted as facilitator for the Student Enterprise Boot camp for second level students. This is a collaboration between Nexus Innovation Centre and the Kemmy Business School, providing knowledge on entrepreneurship and developing skills in opportunity recognition and and building innovative ideas for business opportunities. On completion of the boot camp, students completed business plan projects for a competition.
- Organiser of workshop titled 'Connecting Today's Entrepreneurs with Tomorrow's', Kemmy Business School, April 2016.
- Guest speaker for second level students
ICT as an Enabler for Small Firm Growth: The Case of the Mompreneur
(2011) ICT as an Enabler for Small Firm Growth: The Case of the Mompreneur
In International Journal of E-Politics ; pp. 17-30
(2011) ISBE Conference
33rd ISBE conference
Costin, Y. and Birdthistle, N
(2010) 33rd ISBE conference
(2009) ISBE Conference
Irish Academy of Management Conference
Costin, Y. and Birdthistle N.
(2008) Irish Academy of Management Conference
Ryan, C., Healy, B., O' Dwyer, M., Costin, Y., and Birdthistle, N.
(2011) Enterprise Development