The ICR cluster is working on projects:
- that elucidate consumer experiences in a range of contexts;
- that advance understanding of the relationship(s) between consumption and consumers’ individual identity projects, marketplace cultures, cultural categories, and marketplace ideologies; and
- that translate insights for the wider marketing literature.
MEMBERS OF THE GROUP
- Stephen Murphy
- Killian O’Leary
- Cathriona Nash
- Michelle Dunne
- Katherine Casey
- Leonie Lynch
Journal Articles (since 2010)
- Perez, T., O’Malley, L., Heath, M. and V. Story (2014) “Caring and Conflicted: Mothers Ethical Judgments about Consumption”, Journal of Business Ethics, in press.
- Larsen, G., Patterson, M. & Markham, L. (2014), “A Deviant Art: Tattoo-Related Stigma in an Era of Commodification” Psychology and Marketing 31(8): 670-681.
- Lichrou, M., L. O’Malley and M. Patterson (2014) “On the Marketing Implications of Place Narratives, Journal of Marketing Management, 30(9-10), 832-856.
- Murphy, S., and Patterson, M. (2011) “Motorcycling Edgework: A Practice Theory Perspective”, Journal of Marketing Management, 27(13-14): 1322-1340.
- Lichrou, M., O'Malley, L., and Patterson, M. (2010). “Narratives of a tourism destination: Local particularities and their implications for place marketing and branding. Place Branding and Public Diplomacy, 6(2), 134-144.
- Patterson, M., and Schroeder, J. (2010). Borderlines: Skin, tattoos and consumer culture theory. Marketing Theory, 10(3), 253-267.
Book Chapters (2013-2015)
- Patterson, M. and L. O’Malley (2013) “Bouncing Back: Reclaiming the Body from Pregnancy”, in S. O’Donohoe, M. Hogg, P. Maclaran, L. Martens and L. Stevens (eds.) Motherhood, Markets and Consumption, The Making of Mothers in Contemporary Western Culture, Routledge, 131-145.
- Davies, A.S., Dobscha, S. Geiger, S., L. O’Malley, A. Prothero, E.G. Sorensen and T.U. Thomsen (2013). “Pregnancy, Privacy and Personhood in the Consumer Socialisation of Expectant Mothers”, in S. O’Donohoe, M. Hogg, P. Maclaran, L. Martens and L. Stevens (eds.) Motherhood, Markets and Consumption, The Making of Mothers in Contemporary Western Culture, Routledge, 237-248.
- Patterson, M., and J. Schroeder (2013) “Borderlines: Skin, Tattoos and Consumer Culture Theory” reprinted in M. Tadajewski and R. Cluley (eds.) International Perspectives on Marketing Theory, London: Sage, Volume 4: Transforming Marketing, Consumer and Society Dynamics, Sage: London, 3-20.
- Larsen, G. and M. Patterson (2015) “Rethinking Consumer Resistance: Commodity Stigma in the Consumption of Music”, Heretical Consumer Research Conference, New Orleans, 28th - 30th September.
- Dunne, M., M. Patterson and L. O’Malley (2015) “Magical Transformation! A ‘Raw’REmbodied Experience on Retreat”, Academy of Marketing Annual Conference, Limerick, 7th - 9th July.
- Lonergan, P., M. Patterson and M. Lichrou (2015) “Cultural Intermediaries as ‘Merchants of Mystique’: A Narrative Exploration of Consecration”, Academy of Marketing Annual Conference, Limerick, 7th - 9th July.
- Lynch, L., M. Patterson and C. Ni Bheachain (2015) “Curating Brand Culture: The Orla Kiely Brand”, Academy of Marketing Annual Conference, Limerick, 7th - 9th July.
- O’Leary, K., M. Patterson and L. O’Malley (2015) “The Magic of Space: A Spatial Voyage into Consumer Culture Theory”, Academy of Marketing Annual Conference, Limerick, 7th - 9th July.
- Patterson, M. and G. Larsen (2015) “Commodification and the Social Dynamics of Stigma” 8th Workshop on Interpretive Consumer Research, Edinburgh, 16th - 18th April.
- O’Leary, K., M. Patterson and L. O’Malley (2015) ”Consumption, Space and CCT” 8th Workshop on Interpretive Consumer Research, Edinburgh, 16th - 18th April.
- Murphy, S. and M. Patterson (2014) “Chaos in Order: Motorcycling on the Edge”, Videography, Consumer Culture Theory Conference, Helsinki, 26th - 29th July.
- O’Malley, L., M. Lichrou and M. Patterson (2014) “Towards Co-Creating Authentic Tourist Experiences”, Academy of Marketing Annual Conference, Bournemouth University, July 8-10.
- Casey, K., M. Lichrou and L. O’Malley (2014) “Unveiling Everyday Reflexivity Tactics in a Sustainable Community”, 39th Annual Macromarketing Conference, Macromarketing and the Crisis of the Social Imagination, Royal Holloway, London, July 2-5.
- Casey, K., M. Lichrou and L. O’Malley (2014) “Living Discourse: Anti-consumption as a way of life”, International Centre for Anti-Consumption Research / Journal of Consumer Affairs Symposium on Anti-consumption and Consumer Wellbeing, Germany, July 4-5.
- Casey, K., M. Lichrou and L. O’Malley (2014) “Myth spinning in an ideological community: A Barthesian analysis”, Myth and the Market, Inter-disciplinary Conference, Carlingford, Ireland, June 19-21.
- Nash, C., L. O’Malley and M.Patterson (2014) “Wii have space issues: the impact of space in the doing and display of family”, Child and Teen Consumption Conference, Edinburgh University, April.
- Lichrou, M., L. O’Malley and M. Patterson (2013) “Spectacle, Business, Home: Exploring Place and Marketing Relevance”, Academy of Marketing Annual Conference, Marketing Relevance, Cardiff, 8-11th July. Best Paper in Critical Marketing Track
- Pramendorfer, C., Story, V., O’Malley, L. and Pereira-Heath, T. (2013), “Young Mothers’ Self-Indulgence Behaviour”, Academy of Marketing, 8-11 July, University of South Wales, Cardiff.
- Lichrou, M., L. O’Malley and M. Patterson (2013) “Place, Identity and Local Population: The Role of Narrative in the Management of a Place Brand”, 5th International Conference on Rhetoric and Narrative in Management Research, Barcelona, 25th - 27th March.
International or other external links
- Professor Avi Shankar (University of Bath)
- Dr Patrick Lonergan (Nottingham Trent University)