Travel Insurance 

The Travel Policy arranged by the University provides cover in respect of trips approved by the University, which are no longer than 30 days in duration, for employees or persons engaged on the business of the University are insured.  Policy information is available here (pdf format). If cover is required for trips for a longer duration, the University must specifically inform the Insurer, prior to such trips being undertaken.

It is best practice to register your travel at; and you must read and follow the travel advice for the destination country at the following link:

PLEASE NOTE: In the event of an accident/theft you must obtain a local police report in order to file a claim.

Sabbatical and other special leave: The University can arrange that the Travel Policy provide cover for sabbaticals, special research leave, professional development and other approved leave provided the employee remains an full-time employee of UL. Sabbaticals, special research leave, professional development, and other approved leave are typically for periods of between 2 and 12 months. However, if the period is longer than this, it may be considered a secondment and as such may not be possible to cover. Any such scenario should be referred to in good time, prior to departure.


Please note the following exclusion will apply with effect from 1st October 2020: The Company will not pay any claim which is directly or indirectly as a result of or is contributed to by or is as a consequence of

A. severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-COV-2) or

B. coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) or

C. any derivative or mutation of either A. or B.

Normal cover will apply to all trips except for any claims as a result of COVID-19 or SARS-COV-2 or any derivative or mutation of either eg No cover for Cancellation, Curtailment, Medical Expenses etc as a result of COVID19 or SARS-COV-2 or any derivative or mutation of either.

Guidelines on Insurance Cover for Research


Guidelines and the process in place for confirming insurance cover for research: Guidelines on Insurance Cover for Research

Other Frequently Asked Questions on insurance cover for research (including information on professional indemnity insurance cover): Professional Indemnity FAQ's

For further assistance please contact the Insurance Administrator

For additional information on research ethics matters, please refer to:    


 Visiting Contractors/Groups to the University of Limerick

Should a Department/Division invite a contractor/ external group to the University of Limeirck, one must ensure the visitors hold current public and employers' liability insurances to the levels of €6.5m and €13m respectively


Property Damage - Mid Term Additions of Plant and Equipment

The University's insurance cover is adequate to cover all normal purchases completed throughout the year, without the need to update the University's insurance. However, if your Department purchases a particularly expensive new piece of Plant or Equipment (over €50,000 in value), you should inform                                                                              

With regard to items of equipment received on loan, although the University's Contents insurance covers loss or damage to University property, or property for which we have assumed responsibility, we may need to make special arrangements for the insurance of non-owned property in certain circumstances.      

If in doubt, or if the item is particularly valuable or irreplaceable, contact for relevant advice or to put special insurance arrangements in place.


The complete programme of insurance cover under the administration of the Buildings and Estates Department is as follows:

  • Property Damage & Business Interruption 
  • Employers Liability
  • Public & Products Liability
  • Professional Indemnity
  • Motor
  • Fine Arts
  • Business Travel
  • Marine
  • Engineering  
  • Environmental Impairment Liability
  • Cyber Liability                 
By using our site you accept the terms of our Privacy Policy.