Sanctuary Week in UL
Sanctuary Week in UL
Sanctuary Week in UL takes place April 1st-4th with a number of events and initiatives happening on campus to showcase UL as a University of Sanctuary for asylum seekers and refugees. Please join us in some of the events outlined below and share with your colleagues.
In an effort to stand in solidarity with those in direct provision, and to highlight the fierce restrictions on autonomy of the residents, we are encouraging members of the UL Community to attempt to live on €38.80 for Sanctuary Week, April 1st to 7th.
Our students and all adults that are living in direct provision receive just €38.80 as a weekly allowance.
For our students, this means just €38.80 a week on food, transport, clothes, printing, phone credit and any academic costs.
Follow the UL Student Life social media accounts for updates on the 3 Student Sabbatical Officers attempts and use the #38.80.
Monday 1st April:
- Sanctuary Week Launch - First 7 Weeks Hub 1pm
- Speeches from members of UL Sanctuary Committee and Haikal Mansor from Rohingya Action Ireland.
- Lunch provided by ReStart Project of Enactus UL.
- Sanctuary Runners and Post-run reception – Join us for a run in solidarity and friendship with those living in direct provision. After the run we will have teas and biscuits in the Student Life Building - Meet at the Student Centre @7:00pm
Tuesday 2nd April:
- Rohingya Photographic Exhibition: "A walk through the persecutions of Rohingya in Burma" - members of Rohingya Action Ireland will be there to talk through the exhibit and answer any questions - Library Foyer on display 11am-3pm
- Collaborative Cultural Cooking - Cooking with asylum seekers and refugees 3-6pm Country Munch Kitchen, Ballysimon Rd.
- Potluck dinner and film screening of "Human Flow" - Join us for a communal cultural dinner and a film screening of Human Flow. If you can, please bring a dish from your country or culture and share with other attendees. Student Centre Common Room @ 7pm
Wednesday 3rd April:
- Rohingya Photo Exhibition - "A walk through the persecutions of Rohingya in Burma" - Library Foyer on display 11am-3pm
- Sanctuary Lunchtime Concert - Irish World Academy 1:15pm
Thursday 4th April:
- Speaker: Evgeny Shtorn - Asylum Seeker and LGBT+ rights advocate - Evgeny will discuss life in direct provision through the lens of intersectionality, developing a critical approach to approximate to different subjectivities, bodies and identities. P1033 @1pm