All students, new and returning, must register for your modules each academic semester, including students on Erasmus, professional placement, Coop and Teaching Practice.
Module Registration is the process of choosing your electives, selecting your stream, and confirming your modules for the current semester. Most students can simply register online – the whole process takes less than a minute!
- Registration is NOT the same as accepting an offer from the university/CAO or paying fees.
- You must de-register from any modules you have decided not to take as extra to your course. Failure to do so can have a damaging effect on your QCA!
It is very important to complete registration on time each semester to ensure you can:
- Access University services (Library, your computer account, Sulis where you will find lecture notes and resources, etc.)
- Complete exams/assessments and access your results
- Access your class and exam timetables
- Claim grant payments and so that the university can claim your academic fees from the Higher Education Authority
The majority of students have access to online registration through the Student Portal.
However, if you fall under one of these categories you will need to complete and submit a registration form:
|- Study Abroad
|The International Education Division coordinates registration and processing for these students.|
|Extra Modules||The Additional Module Registration Form must be completed and submitted to the Academic Registry through Student Hub Online.|
|Link-In Occasional||The Link-In Occasional Form must be completed and submitted to the fees office, where the appropriate fee must be paid.|
|Link-In Repeat||The Link-In Repeat Registration Form must be completed and submitted to the fees office, where the appropriate fee must be paid.|
For guidance with online module registration, view the instructions for Step 4.
If you would like to change your elective choice(s), you must complete the Change of Registration Form. This form must be signed by the relevant module leaders (of the module you would like to move into) and submitted to the Academic Registry for processing.
|Week Number||Fee||Submit via|
|Week 1||No charge||Student Hub Online|
|Week 2||No charge||Student Hub Online|
|Week 3||€10||Student Hub Online|
You are allowed to register for modules that are not required for your course, provided you get authorisation from both the extra module’s course leader and your course leader.
You will need to register separately for any extra modules, meaning you must complete the Additional Module Registration Form in addition to registering for your course-specific modules. The form must be completed, signed by both course leaders, and submitted to the Academic Registry through Student Hub Online.
There are three grading methods you may choose from when registering your extra module:
- Normal Registration (N): A normal academic grade is awarded, which will contribute to your GCA.
- Pass/Fail Registration (P): You are awarded a P grade for a pass or an N grade for a fail and your QCA is not affected.
- Audit Registration (G): You are awarded a G grade to indicate satisfactory attendance only and your QCA is not affected. You must have permission from the relevant lecturer to register on this basis.
There is no cost for taking an additional module provided you register for it in Week 1 or 2. After Week 2 there is a €10 charge for all changes to registration.
Detailed instructions on how to register for a repeat module can be found here.
Repeating Pass/Fail Modules
Currently on the online student portal, students cannot register for a module you have failed (i.e. N grade) that you have done on a Pass/Fail registration type.
Contact the Academic Registry through Student Hub Online with your student ID number and module details, advising that you want to be registered for the Annual Repeats.
What is pre-registration?
- Module pre-registration is a way for students who have elective or stream (e.g. choosing a major) options next semester to make their choices known to the University. It records your module preferences for next semester and maximises your chance of being accepted into your preferred module(s).
- Next semester, you will complete module registration as normal. When you log into the Student Portal to complete registration next semester, you will see your pre-registration choices already populated. You will then confirm your choices.
When is pre-registration?
- Pre-registration normally occurs a few weeks into the semester (approx Week 4). If you fail to pre-register in time, your choice of module or route may not be available to you and your timetable may be incomplete.
- If you need to pre-register, you will receive an email reminder.
How to pre-register?
- Once pre-registration has been opened by Academic Registry, log in to the Student Portal and click the pre-registration link.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- When you click 'Enter Selections' you have successfully pre-registered. Note: The 'Confirm Selections' button will be available next semester during registration.
Issues with pre-registration:
- Changing your choices: Once you have pre-registered, your choices cannot be edited. However if you wish to take a different module(s) next semester than what you have pre-registered for, you should wait until you are completing Module Registration next semester (usually Week 0) and then select the modules you do wish to take. Your personal timetable will show the module(s) you had pre-registered for, but you can liaise with your module leaders and use the module code to look up timeslots on the timetable website to find a tutorial/lab to attend.
- If you have any issues with pre-registration you can submit a request through Student Hub Online.