50808 is a free, anonymous, 24/7 messaging service providing everything from a calming chat to immediate support. 50808 provides a safe space where you’re listened to by a trained Volunteer. You’ll message back and forth, only sharing what you feel comfortable with. By asking questions, listening to you and responding with support, they will help you sort through your feelings until you both feel you are now in a calm, safe place.”
Please check out our booklet on Mental Health and Wellbeing. This resource includes use tips and information on minding your mental health.
SilverCloud is freely available to all staff and students and can be accessed 24/7. The University of Limerick, through SilverCloud, is making seven self-help programmes available including:;
- Space for Resilience
- Space from Covid-19
- Space from Stress
- Space from Alcohol
- Space from Money Worries
- Space for Sleep
- Space for Positive Body Image
How do I access the programmes?
- Enter your details to set up a free user account - you will need to use your @ul email address when signing up and accessing this service.
- Log-in, learn and practice. It is recommended that you start with 1 module per week.
Access the SilverCloud Resource.
- UL Counselling Service (UL Éist) 061 202327
- UL Chaplaincy (Teach Fáilte) 061 232180 / 3635
- UL Medical Centre 062 232534
- UL First Year Support Officer 061 232613
- Emergency services (Gardai, Ambulance, Fire Service) 999 or 112
Smartphone apps can be a really useful way to practice breathing, meditation, CBT and well-being exercises to help with stress and anxiety.
- Stop, Breathe and Think
- The Mindfulness App
- Virtual Hope Box
CBT can be a useful way to challenge how we think and act to help with anxiety and low mood. Online programmes offer the opportunity to learn CBT skills.
- Aware Life Skills Online www.aware.ie/education/life-skills-online-programme/
- CBT Online www.online-therapy.com/cbt
- Mood gym https://moodgym.com.au/
Self-help materials can give us coping skills to help us through times of distress.
Information and exercise sheets
- CBT self-help information and worksheets www.getselfhelp.co.uk
- Psychology Tools Self-Help www.psychologytools.com
- UL Counselling Service https://ulsites.ul.ie/studentaffairs/self-help-leaflets
- Specific self-help intervention packages
- Centre for Clinical Interventions mental health intervention packages www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/Resources/Looking-After-Yourself
- National Health Service self-help booklets https://web.ntw.nhs.uk/selfhelp/
- Futureme.org Write a letter to your future self
- Mind.org.uk Mental health support and information
- Pleasetalk.ie Ireland’s student-led mental health movement
- Reachout.com Information on issues that can affect your mental health and well-being
- Spunout.ie Ireland’s youth information website created by young people, for young people
- Feeling stressed about the exams? Check out the following site for advice on how to manage exam time stress https://spunout.ie/education/article/exam-survival
- Accident, Emergency and Out of Hours Services - University Hospital Limerick, Dooradoyle 061 301111
- St. John’s Hospital, Limerick 061 462222
- Ennis Hospital 065 682446
- Nenagh Hospital 067 31491
- Shannon Doc 1850 212 999
- Crisis Intervention Service Limerick 061 301111 Clare 065 6863208
- North Tipperary 086 8306663
The Library is currently displaying a selection of titles from its Health and Wellness collection for ‘Mental Health’ week.
The collection has recently been reviewed in consultation with the subcommittee for mental health with recommendations from UL’s Counselling Service and Department of Psychology.
New titles now accessible as ebooks include:
- Codependent No More : How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself / Beattie, M
- Getting Better Bite by Bite: A Survival Kit for Sufferers of Bulimia Nervosa and Binge Eating Disorders
- Guide to Good Mental Health on the Autism Spectrum / Yen Purkis /
- Lost Connections : Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression - and the Unexpected Solutions
- Mindful Parenting: A guide for mental health practitioners / Bogels S /
- Summary of Matt Walker’s Why We Sleep
- The anxiety & phobia workbook
- The Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Workbook: Practical DBT exercises for learning mindfulness, interpersonal effectiveness, emotion regulation and distress tolerance / McKay, M., Wood, J.C., Brantly, J.
- The Happiness Trap : Stop Struggling, Start Living
- The Joy OF Missing Out: Finding Balance in a Wired World / Christina Crook /
- The Mindful Self Compassion book / Kristin Neff and Chris Germer/
- The Stress-Proof Brain / Melanie Greenberg /
- We're All Mad Here: The No-Nonsense Guide to Living with Social Anxiety
- ACCORD Catholic Marriage Care Service, 66 O’Connell Street, Limerick City. Tel: 061-343000. www.accord.ie/centres/limerick
- ADAPT Domestic Abuse Services, Rosbrien, Limerick. Tel: 061-412354. Email: email@example.com Website: www.adaptservices.ie/
- Al-Anon, strength and hope for families and friends of problem drinkers. Tel: 01-8732699. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.alanon.ie
- Alcoholics Anonymous Ireland. Tel: 01-8420700 Email: email@example.com Website: www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie/
- AWARE, a national support helpline for issues relating to depression and bipolar disorder. Helpline 1800 80 48 48 open seven days a week from 10am to 10pm. Website: www.aware.ie
- Bodywhys, The Eating Disorders Association of Ireland. Helpline: 1890 200 444. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.bodywhys.ie/
- Clare Suicide Bereavement Support, Innovation House, Roslevan Centre, Tulla Rd, Ennis. Tel: 087-3698315/086-0565373 Website: www.claresuicidebereavementsupport.com/
- Clarecare supports services for people in Co. Clare. Tel: 065-682 8178. Email: email@example.com Website: www.clarecare.ie/
- Community Substance Misuse Team, 3rd Floor, 15 Lower Mallow Street, Limerick City. Tel: 061-317688 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.csmt.ie/
- Family Mediation Service, 3rd Floor, Riverpoint, Lower Mallow Street, Limerick: 061-214310. www.citizensinformation.ie/
- GOSHH (Gender, Orientation, Sexual Health, HIV), Redwood Place, 18 Davis Street, Limerick. Tel: 061-314354. Email: email@example.com Website: goshh.ie/
- GROW, Community Mental Health, Mid-Western Region, 33 Henry Street, Limerick. Tel: 061-318813. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.grow.ie/
- Jigsaw, mental health support service for young people age 12-25. 3rd Floor, Arthur’s Quay House, Arthur’s Quay, Limerick. Tel: 061-974510. Email: email@example.com Website: www.jigsaw.ie/
- Le Chéile, peer support for those with difficulty coping. 3 Sexton Street, Limerick City. Tel: 061-446786. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Drop in: Thursdays 10am - 1pm.
- Milford Hospice Counselling Service - Social Work Department. Tel: 061-485800 (limited service available for bereavement not linked to hospice attendance)
- National Counselling Service, Re Nua, O’Connell Avenue, Limerick. Tel: 1800 234115. For adults abused as children.
- Pieta House, Pieta Mid-West, Ardaulin, Mungret, Co. Limerick. Tel: 061-484444 Helpline: 1800 247 247 Email: email@example.com Website: www.pieta.ie. Specialist Service for people who have a history of self-harm or have suicidal ideation.
- Rape Crisis Midwest, Phoenix House, Punch's Close, Rosbrien Road, Limerick. Tel: 1800 311511. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.rapecrisis.ie/home.html. Counselling provided to female and male adult survivors of Rape, Child Sexual Abuse, Incest and Sexual Harassment
- S.O.S (Suicide or Survive) Tel: 1890 577 577 Website: www.suicideorsurvive.ie/
- Samaritans, 20 Barrington Street, Limerick. Free-phone number: 116 123 Drop-in: 9:00am - 10:00pm. E-mail: email@example.com For 24 hour confidential text support text to 087-2609090. www.samaritans.org/branches/samaritans-limerick-tipperary
- Shine, Supporting people affected by ill mental health. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.shine.ie/
- Social Service Centre, Henry Street, Limerick. Tel: 061-314111. Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.lssc.ie/. Free confidential counselling service offered to individuals and families.
Mental health: Care of yourself and care of others
In this video, Orfhlaith McLoughlin (Deputy Head of the Counselling Service) and Siobhán Clifford (Assistant Psychologist) talk about what Mental Health is.