UL Launches Ambitious Research and Innovation Strategy
The UL research community was joined by industry, corporate partners and supporters for the recent launch of the UL Research Strategy, Excellence and Impact 2020 by then Minister for Skills, Research and Innovation, Damien English TD.
The new strategy focuses on research excellence and leveraging our position as the leader in translational research and partners of choice for industry while extending our global reach. It incorporates four goals: Research Excellence, Research Impact, Investing in People and International Reach.
Key targets for the five year strategy include:
- 20% increase in the number of doctoral enrolments
- 100% increase in the number of employment-based and part-time doctoral enrolments.
- 30% increase in the number of publications in top 10 percentile journals.
- A doubling of income from European funding sources relative to that achieved under FP7.
- Establishing commercialisation and entrepreneurship training for all staff and students and expanded enterprise boot camp activities for second and third level students.
- A 25% increase in new spin-out companies and a 20% increase in research income from industry.
The strategy is fully aligned with the Government’s ambition as outlined in Innovation 2020 – the new strategy for Research and Development, Science and Technology.