My Glucksman Library Treasures
Special Collections at the Glucksman Library UL is a treasure trove of unique and rare acquisitions collected over 44 years and cared for under the watchful eye of UL’s Head of Special Collections Ken Bergin.
For such a young University the acquisitions are vast and span the ages. UL Links set Ken the difficult task of selecting some of his favourite antiquities, what was even harder was making him stick to four!
A Little Tour in Ireland was written by Hole S. Reynolds in 1859. "This book is from the Ciaran McAnally travel collection and is a delightful example of travel literature from the 19th century. The McAnally collection is a library of over 5,000 items devoted to accounts of travellers in Ireland over some 400 years. This volume by Reynolds is handsomely bound in an inlaid binding of crushed Levant morocco and is a superb example of fine binding."
"The original manuscript of the Quiet Man. “this is one of the most popular items we have, and it has delighted many visitors who have come to UL. Now over 80 years old this manuscript was first published in the Saturday Evening Post in the United States in 1933. This is where American Film Director John Ford first read it, he secured the film rights shortly after reading it but it was 1952 before the famous film was released”
"Ireland’s Wild Orchids by Susan Sex & Brendan Sayers is one of the more modern books in the collection but it is one of the more striking. This 2004 book is known as an elephant folio due to its size. The large format does justice to the wonderful paintings of wild Irish orchids by the award winning artist Susan Sex.The edition is one of only 700 signed and numbered copies and is bound in maroon buckram over illustrated boards. It has become a rare but important Irish botanical book."
"The History of Limerick by John Ferrar was published in Limerick in 1787. This early history of Limerick is one of our oldest Limerick publications. It is significant for UL because it is one of the foundation books of the Limerick collection established by Fr. John Leonard. He acquired it in the late 1960s and has spent the last 40 years building this excellent library of Limerick publications which we are so proud of having at the Glucksman Library."