Research & Innovation Strategy
Excellence & Impact 2020 - provides a roadmap for future growth and development at the University of Limerick underpinned by Research and Innovation.
“This is an exciting time for Research and Innovation at the University of Limerick as we build on firm foundations and a reputation for delivering significant impact for our research partners. Our new strategy focuses on research excellence and leveraging our position as the leader in translational research and partners of choice for industry while extending our global reach."Vice President Research Dr Mary Shire.
The new strategy incorporates four goals: Research Excellence, Research Impact, Investing in People and International Reach. Combined, they will drive UL’s reputation as an internationally-recognised research-led institution delivering excellent research with impact.
Key targets for the five year strategy include:
- 20% increase in the number of doctoral enrolments
- 100% increase in the number of employment-based and part-time doctoral enrolments
- 30% increase in the number of publications in top 10 percentile journals
- A doubling of income from European funding sources relative to that achieved under FP7
- Establish commercialisation and entrepreneurship training for all staff and students and expanded enterprise boot camp activities for second and third level students.
- A 25% increase in new spin-out companies and a 20% increase in research income from industry
Research at UL addresses areas of importance to Irish society, such as education, languages, healthcare and social inclusion. It also has significant impact on sectors that are vital to the Irish economy, such as pharmaceuticals, med-tech, software, food communications and energy.
The strategy is fully aligned with the government’s ambition as outlined in Innovation 2020 – the new strategy for Research and Development, Science and Technology