Dr Declan Aherne
Head of Counselling
Keywords: primary care psychotherapy mindfulness depression
Research interests – primary mental health care, psychologists specialising in psychotherapy, mindfulness in medicine, how to research depression.
Current Research Projects –
- Mindfulness in western society
- Attitude to mindfulness in GEMS
- Comparing competencies of psychologists and non-psychologists psychotherapists.
- Piloting a psychology based primary mental health care service prototype.
- Audit of mental health presentations at student health centre.
- Psychotherapy practice amongst clinical psychologists.
Aherne, D., Fitzgerald, A, Aherne, C., Fitzgerald, N., Slattery, M. and Whelan, N. (2017). Evidence for the treatment of moderate depression: a systematic review. Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine. In Press.
Aherne,D., Farrant, K.,Hickey, L.Hickey, E.McGrath, L.,McGrath, D. (2016) Mindfulness based stress reduction for medical students: optimising student satisfaction and engagement. BMC Medical Education.16:209.
Aherne,D., McElvaney,R. (2016). A call for dialogue: psychotherapists and psychologists specialising in psychotherapy, European Journal of Psychotherapy & Counselling, 18:1, 58-74.
Birrane, J; Swan, D; Aherne, D; Davis, R; Hannigan, A; McPhillips, D; Meagher, D; O'Regan, A; Ryan, P; Schaffalitzky, E; Cullen, W. (2015). Development and evaluation of an educational intervention in youth mental Health for primary care practitioners. Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine;32, Special Issue 01, pp. 137-146.
Aherne, D. (2002) Understanding student stress: a Qualitative approach. Irish Journal of Psychology, 22,3/4,176-187.