All support units within the University of Limerick implement a bespoke Quality Management System (QMS), based upon the seven quality management principles specified in the ISO9001:2015 quality management standard.
The 'Standard Quality Management System (QMS) Framework' for UL support units outlines:
- The seven principles of quality management
- Evaluation criteria upon which assessment of QMS implementation is based
- Self-evaluation questions
'QMS-Essential' - a streamlined version of the Standard QMS Framework applies to:
- Smaller support units (typically with a staffing level of 10 or fewer)
- Newly established support units
- Units that have not undergone a formal quality review to date
An Inter-Department Audit Process is in place which helps units to prepare for quality reviews. The audits are referred to as ‘inter-department’ because they are conducted by trained auditors both from within the unit under review and from other UL support units. The purpose of the audit process is to ensure that all components of the unit’s QMS are audited for compliance with the UL Frameworks. The process allows for a sharing of best practice and a focus on inter-department collaboration.