All students, staff and registered users with a valid UL ID card are allowed to borrow material from the library.
Check My Library Account to find out what you have on loan, to renew items and to pay fines. After you have logged in, hover your mouse over your name on the top right hand corner of the screen to see the link for "My Library Account".
Borrow a Book
- Use Library Search to see if the item is available in the library.
- Note the shelfmark and then go to the shelves to locate the book.
- When you find the book you are looking for, use the self-service machines on the ground floor of library to take the item out on loan.
- If you have any problems using the self-service machines go to the Information Desk on the ground floor for assistance.
You must maintain My Library Account in good stead in order to use the self-issue machines. You cannot use this service if:
- You have exceeded your borrowing allowance.
- You have overdue items.
- Your outstanding fines exceed €20.00.
|General Lending||Loan Duration||In Addition||Three Day Loan||One Day Loan||Three Hour Loan||Seven Day Loan|
14 days (2 weeks)
|Postgraduates||10||28 days (4 weeks)||In Addition||2||2||2||2|
Short loan borrowing times
At what time can I borrow 3 hour loan material so that I can have it overnight?
You can borrow 3 hour short loan material from 18:00 Monday - Thursday and keep it overnight.
The overnight 3 hour short loan material must be returned by 11:00 the following morning in order to avoid fines.
At what time can I borrow a 3 hour or 1 day loan so that I can have it for the weekend?
You can borrow 1 day short loan material anytime on Friday and keep it for the weekend.
You can borrow 3 hour short loan material on Friday from 15:00 in order to keep it for the weekend.
1 day /3 hour short loan material must be returned by 11:00 the following Monday morning in order to avoid fines.
Short loan material must be issued and returned using the self-service machine in the short loan area.
Renew a Book
You can renew your books...
- Online using My Library Account
- By telephone 061-202166
- At the Information Desk
You can return your books…
- Via the book returns machine on the ground floor of the Library.
- Short loan books need to be returned via the self-service machine in the short loan area.
- At the Information Desk.
How to put a request on a Book
- If a book is on loan, you can put a request on it, if there are no other copies of the book available to borrow
- You must log into My Library Account to put an request on an item
- Once you login and locate the book you want, click on the request button & enter the relevant details.
- You will receive an email message to your UL email account when the item has been returned.
- You will have one week from receipt of this email to collect the item.
- Your item can be collected from the Short Loans area on the ground floor.
- The held item will be on the shelf marked 'Requests Awaiting Collection' (signposted at the beginning of the short loan sequence).
- The order of the item on the shelf is determined by the FIRST 3 LETTERS OF YOUR SURNAME AND THEN THE LAST 4 DIGITS OF YOUR ID NUMBER e.g. COR6789. Check for these details on the orange slip.
- To borrow the item, please use the self-service kiosk in this area.
Cancel a Request
You can cancel a request by logging into My Library Account, once logged in you will see a request tab, click on this tab to view or cancel a request.
Fines and Overdue Material
When your library materials are due for renewal or return, you will normally receive an email notification from the library . Please remember to return library material on time or renew your items to avoid paying fines.
How do you pay a fine?
- In cash at all the self-check machines. In addition to cash, payment can be made with credit/debit card at the self-check machine in the Short Loan area only.
- Go to the Information Desk
Fines in the Library
|Short Loans (3 hours + 1 day)||1 euro per hour of part of|
|3 Day Loans||2 euro per day|
|General Lending & 7 Day Loans||50c per day|
General lending items on loan may be renewed if not required by another reader.
Shorter Loan items may not be renewed.