- Ireland is an island of 84,430 sq. km (32,598 sq. miles) located on the western European seaboard.
- English is the primary vernacular and administrative language of Ireland. Irish (Gaelic) is the national language.
- The population of the island of Ireland is approximately 5.7 million people.
- Coming after Dublin, Belfast and Cork in size, Limerick is the fourth-largest city on the island of Ireland.
- Ireland has a mild climate all year round: temperatures average 2° to 7°C (35° to 45°F) in winter and 18° to 24°C (65° to 75°F) in summer.
- Ireland is in the Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) zone.
- The currency of the Republic of Ireland is the Euro (e).
Limerick city (population 80,000) is the third-largest city in the Republic of Ireland. Limerick is easily accessible by air, coach or train. The city is located 20 km from Shannon International Airport.
There are direct connections between Shannon Airport (SNN) and major cities in the USA, UK and Europe. Limerick is renowned as a centre of excellence for technology. It is home to the National Technology Park and to many international electronics and technology firms.
Limerick offers its visitors an extensive range of attractions, museums and art galleries. For sporting enthusiasts, Limerick offers a wide range of sports, from Gaelic games (hurling and football) to the city’s favourite sport, rugby.
Limerick and the University of Limerick are home to Coaching Ireland and to the University Arena, which houses Ireland’s first 50-metre Olympic swimming pool.