How is your Erasmus+ exchange funded?
Under the Erasmus+ programme, students from the EU, EEA and Turkey have the opportunity to spend between 3 and 12 months studying in a European higher education institution as part of their course.
Successful applicants for the Erasmus+ exchange programme do not pay fees at their chosen institution.
Erasmus students receive a study grant, which is provided by the European Commission. The aim of the grant is to assist students with travel and initial moving costs. It is not a maintenance grant and the amount varies from year to year depending on how many students are participating in the programme. All Erasmus+ students are entitled to the Erasmus+ mobility grant. The grant is not means-tested and does not affect students' entitlements to other grants, such as SUSI, Back to Education, etc.The monthly grant amount is €220 or €270, depending on the host country, and the total grant is calculated based on the semester dates at the host university.
How to receive the Erasmus+ mobility grant
The Erasmus+ mobility grant is paid in two instalments by bank transfer. To receive the grant, you must return the following forms to IED:
First instalment (80%)
1. Certificate of Arrival – once you arrive at the host university, have this document filled in and signed by the International Office and upload it on https://sharepoint.ul.ie/SiteDirectory/InternationalEducationDivision/ErasmusDocuments/
2. Erasmus grant agreement – you will receive the Erasmus grant agreement from our office on your UL email address within 1 week of submitting the Certificate of Arrival. Fill in the Erasmus grant agreement electronically, print it, sign and upload it on https://sharepoint.ul.ie/SiteDirectory/InternationalEducationDivision/ErasmusDocuments/. Once we receive your signed Erasmus grant agreement, 80% of the total grant amount will be released. The first instalment (80%) of the Erasmus grant will be paid within 10 working days of submission of the signed Erasmus grant agreement.
3. Learning agreement – fill in the Learning Agreement and sign it, have it signed by the host university and your Erasmus Academic Coordinator at UL. Once it is signed by all three parties, please upload it on https://sharepoint.ul.ie/SiteDirectory/InternationalEducationDivision/ErasmusDocuments/.
Second instalment (20%)
The remaining 20% of the Erasmus grant will be released upon your return from Erasmus and submission of the below:
1. Certificate of Attendance – at the end of theErasmus placement,have the Certificate of Attendance filled in and signed by International Office at the host university and upload it on https://sharepoint.ul.ie/SiteDirectory/InternationalEducationDivision/ErasmusDocuments/.
2. Finalised Learning agreement (if you have not submitted it yet)
3. Submission of the EU Participant report (you will receive a link on your UL email address at the end of your study placement abroad)
4. Original Erasmus grant agreement with your wet signature – please bring the document to IED.