How is your Erasmus+ exchange funded?
Under the Erasmus+ programme, students from the EU, EEA and Turkey have the opportunity to spend between 3 and 12 months studying in a European higher education institution as part of their course.
Successful applicants for the Erasmus+ exchange programme do not pay fees at their chosen institution.
Erasmus students receive a study grant, which is provided by the European Commission. The aim of the grant is to assist students with travel and initial moving costs. It is not a maintenance grant and the amount varies from year to year depending on how many students are participating in the programme. All Erasmus+ students are entitled to the Erasmus+ mobility grant. The grant is not means-tested and does not affect students' entitlements to other grants, such as SUSI, Back to Education, etc.The monthly grant amount is €230 or €280, depending on the host country, and the total grant is calculated based on the semester dates at the host university.
What to do to receive the Erasmus+ mobility grant
The Erasmus+ mobility grant is paid in two instalments by bank transfer.
All grant documents will be emailed to your UL email account prior to the start of the semester abroad (August for Autumn placements; December for Spring placements). The Certificates and Learning Agreement are also available on the left hand-side of this page.
To receive the grant, you must return the following forms to IED:
First instalment (80%)
1. Certificate of Arrival – once you arrive at the host university, have this document filled in and signed by the International Office and upload it on the IED SharePoint site.
2. Erasmus grant agreement – the Erasmus grant agreement will be emailed to your UL email address within 5-10 working days of submitting the Certificate of Arrival. Fill in the Erasmus grant agreement electronically, print it, sign it and post the completed original form to the following address: Erasmus+ manager, International Education Division, University of Limerick, Plassey Park Road, Castletroy, Co. Limerick, V94 T9PX, Ireland.
Once IED receive the signed Erasmus grant agreement, 80% of the total grant amount will be released. The first instalment (80%) of the Erasmus grant will be paid within 10 working days of receiving the signed Erasmus grant agreement.
3. Learning agreement – fill in the Learning Agreement and sign it, have it signed by the host university and your Erasmus Academic Coordinator at UL. Once it is signed by all three parties, please upload it on the IED SharePoint site.
Second instalment (20%)
The remaining 20% of the Erasmus grant will be released upon your return from Erasmus and submission of the below:
1. Certificate of Attendance – at the end of the Erasmus placement, have the Certificate of Attendance filled in and signed by International Office at the host university and upload it on the IED SharePoint site.
2. Finalised Learning agreement (if you have not submitted it yet)
3. Submission of the EU Participant report (you will receive a link on your UL email address at the end of your study placement abroad).
All ERASMUS+ grant documents (except the grant agreement, which needs to be submitted in hard copy) should be uploaded to the IED SharePoint site.
Note: If logging on externally, use the prefix UL\ before the ID number, e.g. UL\17112233